Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit question

Default Bit question

If I go with the new CW chuck, can I still use my old carving bits. I know I cant use the old adapters, but on their website it says the new carving bits come with the pressed sleeve already attached. Can I use the splined sleeves for my old bits. Also is there somewhere else you can get the splined sleeves at a better price.
    thanks

I don't think you can use your old bits - the only bits that can be used with the CT are the one's offered by LHR with the pressed-on sleeve.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

You cannot use your old carbide carving and cutting bits. You can adapt your decorative bits (full bit set) to work with the CT.

If you are upgrading to the CarveTight or getting the CT Service Upgrade, this is what you may also need to order:

Replace 1/16" Carving & 1/8" Cutting Bits

Converting Full Bit Set & Probe for new CT:
    Bit Adjustment Tool (not necessary, but helpful in removing old style adapters)
    1/4" Stop Collars (Package of 10)
    1/2" Stop Collars (Package of 10)
    1/4" Split Collet (to be shared among 1/4" steel shank bits)
    Scanning Probe Adapter (no stop collar required)

I guess what I dont understand, what the differcence is why you can use 1/4" steel bits in the split collet but not the 1/4" carbide cutting bits

LHR maintains that their chuck may slip when using solid carbide bits.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    LHR maintains that their chuck may slip when using solid carbide bits.
    LHR maintains that any chuck of this nature WILL slip when using carbide bits without the pressed on sleeve. We hear about these problems with the other chucks every week . There are multiple instances of this happening and being reported here on this forum. Tens of thousands of hours of testing have proven it. It is not debatable, it is fact. It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. If it hasn't happened yet, you've been lucky. It is in LHR's best interest to make sure the users experience is the best it can be. We would not be this adament about this if we could not GUARANTEE that this will happen with any of the chuck designs including the CarveTight. Arguing about it and denying it does not change the facts.

Is it possible to get more specific with this "slipping"? Are we talking about slippages when the chuck turns faster than the bit, or are we talking about up and down slippage of the bit in the chuck? Is this a few thousands or tenths? I guess what I'm wondering is let just say we all accept this slippage issue... is it really an issue? If I have had slippage with the rock, so far it hasn't affect quality of carve in the least. Even with this potential slippage, I think we all agree that both the Carve-tight and Rock (muscle and others?) are far superior to the original QC. Not to say the QC wasn't a great idea, it just had too many issues that caused it to be a problem area with the cc/cw. As far as I recall, the vast majority of "slippage" issues reported on here with the rock turned out to be pilot errors with not understanding the relationship of the flats to the sleeves.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 06-30-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

It was not my intention to argue or deny anything or to imply the CT is inferior in any way shape or form. I only intended to clarify the source of the information.

I personally have never had an issue with a slipping bit, in a CW or any other machine tool using solid carbide bits, but I can't lay claim to tens of thousands of hours of testing , hundreds yes maybe even into the thousands of hours, with various styles of chucks in various machines.

When using a adapter collet with a single split the orientation of the collet to the lock mechanism is critical for the collar to lock onto the bit. I can only assume if this style of collet was used in testing it is a good possibility that could be the cause of some percentage of the cases of slippage, but this is only an assumption on my part.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

I own both Ron’s system and LHR’s CT; I find Ron's Collets work great with my old carbide cutting and carving bits. Maybe the three winged collets LHR sell may not hold, looks like it would clamp on one wing of the collets.

I used Ron’s system in the CT on a seven hour carve. I have never had a bit come loose on the CT unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunting Dogs 3.jpg   Ron's Collets.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

10. Default

I'm going to have to use the old Qucik change chuck for another year or two. Would the slippage be the same or more than with the Quick Change adapters? Or is there no slippage with them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast