Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carvetight vs. Rock Chuck

The CT can take any 1/4" shank bit using a rubber stop collar and sharing a 1/4" split collet EXCEPT for the carbide bits (1/16" Carving Bit & 1/8" Cutting Bit). The carbide bits can and will eventually slip with the split collet. They require a hard pressed adapter that will not slip.

The 1/16" cutting bit (itty bitty one) is a carbide bit, but the outside that makes it a full 1/4" bit is steel. Therefore, it can share the split collet.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 06-30-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I meant 1/16" cutting bit, not 1/8" inch...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    The 1/8" cutting bit (itty bitty one) is a carbide bit, but the outside that makes it a full 1/4" bit is steel. Therefore, it can share the split collet.
    Did you mean 1/16"?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default Ooops!

Yes, itty bitty is 1/16" not 1/8".

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    The CT can take any 1/4" shank bit using a rubber stop collar and sharing a 1/4" split collet EXCEPT for the carbide bits (1/16" Carving Bit & 1/8" Cutting Bit). The carbide bits can and will eventually slip with the split collet. They require a hard pressed adapter that will not slip.

The 1/16" cutting bit (itty bitty one) is a carbide bit, but the outside that makes it a full 1/4" bit is steel. Therefore, it can share the split collet.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I'm clear, if the shaft is carbide, then it needs a pressed adapter....right? If the shaft is steel and the cutters are carbide then I can use a split adapter...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Router-Jim View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I'm clear, if the shaft is carbide, then it needs a pressed adapter....right? If the shaft is steel and the cutters are carbide then I can use a split adapter...right?
    Yes and yes!

Great!

Thanks again.

Jim

So, you used a known worn collet with a carbide shaft bit to justify the slippage?
    I'm not justfying anything. I'm just staing that contray to what other folks want to belive, carbide bits WILL slip when a steel shank will not. I think that is what CW was trying to avoid with their pressed on adapters for the smaller bits (and the runout will be less than a split busing as well.)
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Enlighten me, Jeff (seriously) is carbide more porous, preventing the collet from gripping it properly??
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

No carbide is much harder and will not compress like steel does. When you chuck in a steel shanked bit, the shank will actually compress slightly; overtighten the chuck and you'll dent the shank. With a solid tool holder (like the QC adapter) the set screw will bite into the steel shank, but not carbide, that is why you need the flat spot.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I see said the blind man.....

Hey, you should be an engineer
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast