Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carvetight vs. Rock Chuck

Can anyone who has the Carvetight give us some feed back on it? I use the Rock, love it but would like to know what CT users think of theirs.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Default Rock v/s CarveTight Chucks

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Can anyone who has the Carvetight give us some feed back on it? I use the Rock, love it but would like to know what CT users think of theirs.

CJ
    First, let me say that both are far superior to the old Quick Change (QC) chuck. I have never owned the Rock, but understand the design. I now have CarveTight Assemblies on both of may machines, and now enjoy having a dust collector that is louder than the carving machines!

Both eliminate the need for the adapters, which contributed to our problems.

The Rock is an after market replacement, and it works very well. the problem occurs when it is placed too late to save the spindle assembly from being damaged by the spate of problems caused by the QC. Once the spindle and other parts are damaged, the Rock, itself, will not solve your problems. If you wait too long to convert to the Rock or CarveTight it's the old saying "Pay me now, or pay more later".

I believe that the CarveTight (CT) Assembly was developed as a direct result of all the problems caused by the QC. It is very similar to the Rock, with the exception that the spindle and chuck are one complete unit. This eliminates any looseness that may exist in any multi-part chuck and spindle.

LHR has stated the the Carbide shank Carving ,and Cutting, bits must have a "pressed on sleeve". This may or may not be true (who cares)! I think it is there to protect the user and, more-over, to protect the warranty that LHR has in place.

Enjoy either the Rock or the CT!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Carbide bits 'CAN' slip in any type of collet/tool holder given the right circumstances. I had a 3/8 carbide, two flut flat end mill , pull out of an ER collet the other day because the collet was a little worn, but the collet still worked fine with steel shank bits.

Also, Ron does not manufacture bits. He resells them just like everybody else...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

CJ
    I just installed a Carvetight last week and I'm pleased (and sorry that I waited so long to get rid of the QC!). It's certainly faster and easier to change bits than the QC and they're held more solidly in place. I haven't used the Rock and therefore can't compare the two, and I haven't run a carving or cutting bit without the pressed on sleeve (although i will at some point!).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

I agree with what some others have said about the Rock Chuck. Ron (and others) were there in trying to figure out a solution when we all were having problems and not getting anywhere with our complaints and concerns. We were all (those with QC problems) just preaching to the Choir and that's as far as it went.... until Ron decided to do something about it. He invested, researched, tested and researched some more until he got it right. HE then offered a solution while no one else (LHR) did. Some of us took his word and offer and have been happy ever since. As quite some time went by, someone (LHR) decided to get on board and come up with a fix (CT) for the still continuing problem. Is it a coincidence that one looks and functions very similar to the other? So...... me.... I'm sticking with the one that took it upon himself to find a solution, test it and stand by it (lifetime warranty). It's not that one is better than the other or that one does this or that. It's about the one that did something about it when nothing else was being done to fix the problem. This is just my humble opinion in how I feel about it and that's what I'm going with and will forever be greatful.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrigger View Post
    I noticed my bit (Im using the QC right now) now has about 1/8" of play at the tip.
    Kevin--make sure that the bit is seating completely in the QC. Check the bottom of the QC with a mirror to ensure that the red marks are lining up. I used to have to rap on the sides of my QC with the bit tool while pressing down on the QC sleeve with every bit change to get it to seat all the way. I now have the CT and bit changes are a lot faster than with the 'Quick' chuck!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Nice thing about the Rock Chuck is your not locked into one source for bits. Made in the USA and is excellent quality. Never had a problem using it in the past year.

CarveTight looks like a solid design however the only place that I know of to buy bits for it is LHR.

I don't know if that is totally accurate. I had Ron make some 1/6" bits with a V on one end and a cutting bit on the other end.
    Attachment 34985

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Also, Ron does not manufacture bits. He resells them just like everybody else...

So, you used a known worn collet with a carbide shaft bit to justify the slippage? Sounds like a inspection problem. I use carbide shaft bits with a 3 1/4 hp porter cable router running at 22,000 rpm and do not have problems. That doesn't mean I won't, especially if I don't do due diligence inspecting the shaft, collets, etc. That doesn't point to a carbide shaft in steel chuck issue though. It is a widely used practice.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

CJ
    Hey if they want to send me a CarveTight I'd be happy to do a side-by-side comparision.

For those with the CT, if it takes 1/2 bits directly, can it not take a 1/4" bit with an adapter?

Or is it just the concern about slippage?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast