Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carvetight vs. Rock Chuck

1. Default Carvetight vs. Rock Chuck

Hey all, been awhile since Ive been here. I've tried to fix my Z stall 303 error about 2 months ago and thought I had fixed it. But as I was carving this weekend the dreaded Z stall 303 came up with about 25% carved. I noticed my bit (Im using the QC right now) now has about 1/8" of play at the tip. So I am breaking down to get a new chuck for my machine.

The question is am I headed in the right direction to get rid of this error, and what chuck do I get? Is there a difference besides price? I watched the youtube video of RJustice's Rock chuck and am very inpressed, but the carvetight will take back my Z truck and make my total about $50 less... I just want the most for my money, and ESPECIALLY to get rid of all the errors and start carving again!

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Default Carvetight vs. Rock Chuck

Hey all, been awhile since Ive been here. I've tried to fix my Z stall 303 error about 2 months ago and thought I had fixed it. But as I was carving this weekend the dreaded Z stall 303 came up with about 25% carved. I noticed my bit (Im using the QC right now) now has about 1/8" of play at the tip. So I am breaking down to get a new chuck for my machine.

The question is am I headed in the right direction to get rid of this error, and what chuck do I get? Is there a difference besides price? I watched the youtube video of RJustice's Rock chuck and am very inpressed, but the carvetight will take back my Z truck and make my total about $50 less... I just want the most for my money, and ESPECIALLY to get rid of all the errors and start carving again!

Thanks,

Kevin

Cool

Hi Kevin

My son and I have a CW with a bad QC also. We have decided to replace it with a CT. But the reason we are going that way is because we've had problems with our z-truck. It has spit out the retaining ring twice so we don't really trust it. If it were not for that I believe that we would go with the Rock mostly because I have a real hard time paying $40 for what is just a $15 bit with a fancy sleeve pressed on. However we don't trust the z-truck and since we have to replace it anyway the CT is the cheapest way for us to go. LHR claims that a solid carbide bit will slip without a pressed sleeve, Justice seems to think that that is not the case. Lots of people are using the Rock and don't seem to be having much of a problem with that so maybe it is a design issue with the CT. I'm not a machinist or engineer so I'm not qualified to make that call. Anyway that's my thoughts and opinion and it is worth every penny you paid for it.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I dont think you can go wrong with either one. However, if you choose the carve-tight, you will currently still be locked to LHR for carving and cutting bits (they require a pressed on sleeve). With the rock, you are free to use other third party cutting and carving bits.
    Doug Fletcher

If you look at a carving bit it has the small flat for when using it with a QC. The point is that when people use Ron's chuck they dont always make sure that the flat is pointed away from where the hex clamp clamps down. So people believe there will be slippage. I have never had a problem with Rons chuck. And you dont have to have sleeves pressed on for his chuck.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

There is absolutely no reason not to go with a Rock Chuck. I have had mine for over 6 months now, and to tell the truth, ZERO problems! It's worth every single dime and Ron is now manufacturing without the flat spot. Bottom line, invest for the best.

V/R

Mike

I will try to stay with the Rock or the Muscle chuck. Why The makers of those looked for a means to fix a problem while many others just kept hitting many of us with it is user Error and stuff like that. Yes Im Glad LHR made the CT but now we see it was not just UE some of us must have not got the same QCs that those who did not have the problems. So My $ will go to fund Ron and others who worked though problems for us and did not say we were just a bunch of dummy's Thanks Ron and Al and others

Quote Originally Posted by Hesstx View Post
    I will try to stay with the Rock or the Muscle chuck. Why The makers of those looked for a means to fix a problem while many others just kept hitting many of us with it is user Error and stuff like that. Yes Im Glad LHR made the CT but now we see it was not just UE some of us must have not got the same QCs that those who did not have the problems. So My $ will go to fund Ron and others who worked though problems for us and did not say we were just a bunch of dummy's Thanks Ron and Al and others
    If it wasn't for the fact that I don't trust our current z-truck (retainer has fallen out twice) I would go with the Rock. But since the z-truck will need to be replaced it is more economical to go with the CT. I do understand where you are coming from and the frustration that some of you guys that have been around awhile have experienced would probably dictate that you give your money to the guys that first searched for a solution to what apparently was an obvious defect in the design. But for me I have to go the most economical route.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

You are correct to do so when it if I have to change I will. Iam happy that these changes have been made and hope they prove to make the units better and better sometimes change is like pulling teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Hesstx View Post
    I totally agree with you RON chuck are the best and will stay with him he help us a great deal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast