Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Scanner-Is this right??

Default New Scanner-Is this right??

Hi all,

I ran my first scan with the probe tonight and I'm not too sure if my results are typical. Maybe someone with more experience can tell me if this is what I can expect?

The scan was of a Woodcraft knife blank. I specifically wanted to scan something metal to see if it scratched the surface.

What suprised me...and what I am wondering if is normal...when the probe moved along the knife surface, I expected more of a dragging motion. This was more of a sewing machine style rapid paced tapping. As a result, instead of the smooth surface I expected, I ended up with this.

Any advice?? Am I doing something wrong or is this typical?

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knife.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	34964knifescan1.ptn

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Hi all,

I ran my first scan with the probe tonight and I'm not too sure if my results are typical. Maybe someone with more experience can tell me if this is what I can expect?

The scan was of a Woodcraft knife blank. I specifically wanted to scan something metal to see if it scratched the surface.

What suprised me...and what I am wondering if is normal...when the probe moved along the knife surface, I expected more of a dragging motion. This was more of a sewing machine style rapid paced tapping. As a result, instead of the smooth surface I expected, I ended up with this.

Any advice?? Am I doing something wrong or is this typical?

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knife.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	34964knifescan1.ptn
    It should be smooth, the last time I had a problem like that was the item was not mounted tight to the sled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candle holder.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

3. Default

That's how some of my knife scans came out too. I used blur or degauss or something in the pattern editor to smooth them out.
    By the way, thanks for the pattern, would you mind sharing any others you do, I've been trying to get a good wooden knife collection going...
    Thanks again!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Try taking a small mirror or piece of glass make sure and clean it good then scan it. It can be a really small piece so the scan wont take long (2 or 3 inches) be sure when you scan you are picking normal or best and the scan should come out smooth on top. If it does not post the results. Let us know how it comes out any how.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Thanks, I will try the mirror trick tonight. I have the machine doing a 4 hour scan now on a different knife blank to see if it does the same thing. I really made sure this one was solidly attached to the sled and not moving in any way. I can pretty much already hear the thing tapping along the surface though so I expect the same result...

Truck seems to move along smoothly until it contacts the item, I even removed the flexshaft from the truck as recommended.

I do select Best quality and set the depth just off the board, using a credit card to touch down on.

Thanks,
    Craig

Did you make sure the probe was tight in the chuck, and are you using the QC, Rock or Carvetight.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Did you make sure the probe was tight in the chuck, and are you using the QC, Rock or Carvetight.

CJ
    Yes the probe hasnt shifted in the chuck, I took measurements before and after the scan because I was worried about that. This one is in a Rock Chuck with the adapter sleeve. I made sure to measure because I didnt want to torque too hard on the plastic, so I was a bit worried about it shifting.

It's weird, it just seems to kind of chatter along the top instead of the sweeping dragging motion I expected. When it isnt in contact with the piece, on the air scan parts it moves perfectly smooth. I guess I will see what the scan gives me, and also try the mirror test.

Thanks,
    Craig

I am under the impression that the probe is suppose to sound like a minature jack hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Router-Jim View Post
    I am under the impression that the probe is suppose to sound like a minature jack hammer.
    Well then that's what I have. I just don't understand how people get such smooth looking scans if this thing is tapping along the top. Yes, for a flat surface like a knife blank it is pretty easy to clean up, but what about a detailed scan, which is what I am hoping to do..

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the probe would scan a pretty close likeness into a pattern without much cleanup. Do you guys have to go through the whole photo editing thing to make your scans usable?

Thanks,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Router-Jim View Post
    I have only done one test scan so far, but that is what mine sounded like.

BJB's suggestions sounds very logical to me.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast