Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compucarve Bits Question

NickMc Guest

Default Compucarve Bits Question

I've been slowly talking myself into buying a Carvewright machine, and had been planning to pick up a refurb Compucarve from Sears.com during one of their big tool sales, but I just noticed here that the version C is out so I'm guessing that is the way to go instead....

Here's my question. Awhile back my local Sears was selling the Compucarve basic and edge bit sets for 70% off so I went ahead and bought them in anticipation. But I am totally confused by all of the chuck and adaptor talk and options. Will the Compucarve bits work with a Carvewright model C, or do I need to buy adaptors, or ...?

To anyone that can enlighten me, thanks in advance!

The 1/2" shank bits and 1/4" steel shank bits will work with the adapters for the new chuck. The 1/4" solid carbide bits will not work (the new style have a pressed on adapter.)
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Is there a reason the 1/4" split collet couldn't be used with the old bits after removing the quick chuck adapter on those bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    The 1/2" shank bits and 1/4" steel shank bits will work with the adapters for the new chuck. The 1/4" solid carbide bits will not work (the new style have a pressed on adapter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yosserg View Post
    Is there a reason the 1/4" split collet couldn't be used with the old bits after removing the quick chuck adapter on those bits?
    You may use the split collets on all bits, except for the Carving and 1/8 inch cutting bits. They are carbide, and have a known problem with retaining the needed grip with the split collet.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    You may use the split collets on all bits, except for the Carving and 1/8 inch cutting bits. They are carbide, and have a known problem with retaining the needed grip with the split collet.
    AskBud
    I had forgot all about that deal with the split and carbide... I remember reading it here... thanks for the reminder.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Just another reminder that the Rock brand Sleeves (collets) work fine with the Rock Chuck system... And this allows you to use any bits that are designed for use with the Carewright machine including the ones found on my website. You can find the info on my website by clicking links below... 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 sleeves are available.

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Ron,

Have you thought any about making some bits with the pressed on collars? They would work with the CT and act as built in bit stops for the RC, kind of a win win for everyone. Of course I say that with no manufacturing experience, so I don't know if it would be cost effective for you or not...

Thanks,
    Craig

I know that Ron has suggested this before, it works great, it is repeatable every time and doesn't cost anything. Using a plastic tube that the carving bit comes in, which have ends on it, cut it to length needed for the tool to stick out of the chuck. When changing tools simply use this tube to adjust the length and then tighten chuck. I call it a tool heigth tool. When I have a project that uses both the carving and the 1/8" tools the machine always asks for both tools to do its settings. I just start with the carving bit and fool the machine thinking I have changed tools, this is because I know that the 1/8" tool is going to be exactly the same length as my carving bit. Just keeps me from changing tools during setup. That is if the carving comes first, so be sure. Just my 2 cents worth.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Ron,

Have you thought any about making some bits with the pressed on collars? They would work with the CT and act as built in bit stops for the RC, kind of a win win for everyone. Of course I say that with no manufacturing experience, so I don't know if it would be cost effective for you or not...

Thanks,
    Craig
    Hi Craig,
    I reserve the right to change my mind down the road, but when i first came out with the Rock Chuck, it was my intention to make the sleeves press fit onto the tools. More specifically heat shrink fits... I experimented with it quite a bit as we use this type of tool holder in the mold making business. While i really like the idea, it became apparent that it was definitely not practical to sell to a customer in a kit form. In other words, you purchase a sleeve, then intend on heating it up, and replacing bits in it. It is a difficult process if you dont have the correct equipment. The next thought was to sell the tools with the sleeves already on them like LHR is currently doing. What i found was that if i did them in production, doing dozens of tools at a time, it could be somewhat productive. The problem then becomes holding a lot of inventory, plus the cost of the press on sleeve being added to the cost of the bit. That is why I ended up just selling the universal sleeve. I also eliminated the flats on my carving bits to eliminate any worries about orientation of the flat.

As Jerry mentioned, there are many methods to achieve a bit stop, but at this point it isnt really necesssary. You can eyball the amount that the tool sticks out, and simply hit continue when the machine tells you that the length doesnt match. Just be sure to watch that your bit plate swings out and the bit touches off on it properly.

Hope that makes sense...

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default Bit adapters

If the carvetight chuck will hold a 1/2 in bit it should also be able to use 1 of the collets to hold a 1/4 bit.Unless there locking mechanism wont hold.I use the collets all the time with my modified eleminator chucks and with the Muscle chuck.dont have any problems with holding or slipping also have a bit stop inside the chucks that works perfectly .
    3 Carvewrights, 1 Epilog Laser Engraver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast