Thread: Sanding Mop

Default Sanding Mop

The sanding mop instruction pdf appears to be broken. This is just a courtesy message for LHR.

This link:

http://www.carvewright.com/images/se...mop_manual.pdf

from this page

http://carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwm...38&j=248187844

Doug Fletcher

edit: Took a shot in the dark and was able to correctly guess the correct url. Here it is:

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...mop_manual.pdf
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 06-02-2010 at 06:43 PM.

I make my own that are that same style, but I think they would be too aggressive for carvings wouldn't they?
    I have never tried them, but they are to big for details and to aggressive both would be my thought.

I use the 3M radial disks for detail sanding, wish they were cheaper, but they work great.
    I'm completely off topic.....but whats new?
    Last edited by spalted; 06-02-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Typing while wearing boxing gloves again.

I have a 6" mop with 320 grit. It seems to "be kind" to details. Great for removing fuzz too.

Doug Fletcher

Thats good to know.

I may have to try one.

The ones I made are course 60 and 100 grit made from old Wide belt sander belts. The cloth backer is very heavy and the grit is course so I guess that would make them aggressive by nature. Plus I spin them at higher RPMs to keep them more ridged.

I use them for cleaning up branches and twigs for furniture and railings.

I have several "mops" in 80, 220 and 320. I use mine all the time and love love love them. Obviously I use the 220 and 320 the most depending on the project I am working on comes out of the machine. A few passes on the drill press at about 600 rpm and I am mostly done. Hope this helps in some way.

I use a mop on most of my carvings. thay are from Klingspor and thay work great!
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

7. Default

I have several sanding wheels. They're basically nylon brush wheels with abrasive in them. They work better as they wear a little. They come in three grits but not specified. Do an outstanding job. There's a straight wheel like the sanding mop, a cup, and a flapper wheel. I don't remember the brand but i picked them up in ace hardware. For hardwoods, i use a course then a medium to finish and softwoods medium then fine. They're about $10 each.

MH

So these Mops that you guys use, work OK on small detail carving projects? I use the 3M bristle wheels on my dremmel. Kinda expensive, but I guess there really is no choice (or is there?).
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Smile

I use the sanding wheel from Grizzly

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Sand...240-Grit/G3302

Already had an arbor for a chuck that fits onto my wood lathe. Hooked the wheel up to the lathe, set the speed, and away we go. Works really well for me.
    They have them in 80-120-240 grit. I use the 240

I use a 2" radial bristle disk (3M) from Otto Frei. Don't remember the exact grit size, but I have the 120? and 400?. They're mounted on the Fordom, and last a long time. Works well on fine detail also.
    Ron