Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trade anyone?

Jeremy,
    Can you upload the DXF of the clock gears? I'd like to see what you are talking about. If not you have my email.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Steve

I can't upload the clock dxf, cause I had to pay for the files.

OK.. Thanks, I just wanted to test it in VCarve Pro. I'm sure it will handle it. Wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble or break any laws!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jhatcher View Post
    Like I said, it is not the perfect way to do it, but here was my situation:

I had a DXF of a wooden gear clock, which was a vector and designer would not take it. So, according to the PDF, you still end up with a vector cut path. As such, I was able to take my DXF plans and cut them out with the machine using vector paths.

Now as I do not own the DXF Importer, I am not sure how they import the DXF, but the results are the same. (for my needs anyway). The vector is scaleable, it cuts as a vector path and not a raster. By the end of the PDF there is no raster.

Oh, and the clock works great, the 8 thousandths of an inch (not sure) did not seem to matter, all the gears lined up and fit fine.
    I'm sure someone will use it but it's been around and discussed before. I've done it. If your doing something like clock gears that have to be accurate but that much of a difference is nominal because of the gear rotation. It's the tooth per the speed within reason. Gears actually help reduce the amount your off because of pitch and rotation. I don't doubt it works great. I tried it and had to scale it x and y for an inlay and it left gaps at a radius even when it was scaled down because of the extra on the outline. Changed the radius slightly, just enough to be noticeable. It's a great technique and thank you for sharing it with us. Also good luck getting a trade for the carvewright. I've got another machine on it's way, I don't know what i'm doing with my CW i might rebuild it with steppers and a new control, but i don't know yet.

MH

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead781 View Post
    I've got another machine on it's way, I don't know what i'm doing with my CW i might rebuild it with steppers and a new control, but i don't know yet.

MH
    That is an interesting concept.... convert it to a Stepper machine....

Good Luck with that...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    That is an interesting concept.... convert it to a Stepper machine....

Good Luck with that...

AL
    Thanks Al, i appreciate your support on that. I figure i can get a good 14" x 96" x 2" system out of it. Shouldn't cost more then $300 or so. I'll keep you guys posted if you want to see but it's gonna be a while. I've got specs drawn up. Basically sleds with gear racks machined on the bottom out of a derlin. It'll go into the machine over a set of driven gears off one stepper and shaft. I'll probably beef up the y axis rail and use heavier bearings. Same on the Z truck. Switch to a nice ball screw y and z setup re using the CW z truck with my Rock.

Again, thanks Al
    MH

With the ball screw Y idea the extra weight of the 2 inch Z ball screw would not be a issue.

Good Idea...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

8. Default

Yeah, for what i want, belts aren't a good idea. I figure if i can get the right amount of steps per inch and everything setup correctly i'll get about .0001 resolution at 100 or so ipm cut speed and around 150 ipm rapid. V carving and raster carving could probably run closer to 120ipm but with larger bits and considerably larger stepover about 80ipm. Add to that roughing passes help a lot. To anyone who reads this. Doing something like this creates a machine that takes user error and magnifies it ten fold at high feed rates and high rpms. If you accidentally tell a machine with the setup i describe to plunge your bit and chuck 3" into the material it will do it without a second thought. Something like that breaks expensive parts. The CW takes care of all that stuff for you. Anything i build will not.

MH

Cool idea to convert the CW, I should have thought of that... I bought mine last fall, got hooked but wanted more.

So I built this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMy-rsPafdo

I am just in the "firing up" stage right now but so far, so good. Belt driven(3:1 gear reduction gives resolution of about .0003"), 4' x 8' x 8" cut area, safe cuts(.250) in MDF at 120imp, 400ipm rapid, and so far I have been getting repeatability measurements of less than .001".

I'm keeping the CW though because it has its advantages too - quick 3D carves, the designer software, self setup, compact, etc...

Plus, why not have double the fun!
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Cool idea to convert the CW, I should have thought of that... I bought mine last fall, got hooked but wanted more.

So I built this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMy-rsPafdo

I am just in the "firing up" stage right now but so far, so good. Belt driven(3:1 gear reduction gives resolution of about .0003"), 4' x 8' x 8" cut area, safe cuts(.250) in MDF at 120imp, 400ipm rapid, and so far I have been getting repeatability measurements of less than .001".

I'm keeping the CW though because it has its advantages too - quick 3D carves, the designer software, self setup, compact, etc...

Plus, why not have double the fun!
    I just can't play around and tinker with things on a regular basis. Right now i need a machine up and running. I just got my new software package today and my machine, to my surprise, shipped yesterday. It was supposed to be 4 weeks but it was only one even with the holiday. The sales woman said they were adding another line for the machine. The had added one line two weeks prior but had to wait for the third line's welding machines to be finished. On top of that each machine they assemble, test, zero, disassemble then crate before shippment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast