Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: birthday box

Default birthday box

here is the start of the box I am making for my daughter. So far the top is carved, and what is shown is straight from the cw. Other images are of the box as it is getting ready to be carved.

LG have you been by my place today. When I went to tape up the rails for the front, I could not find the 1 inches tape. Thought maybe you were out making sure the stock goes up.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

second part of the box. This time it is the front. Back is carving now.
    Wood is cedar.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Here is the back of the box, carving one of the sides now. May get this all carved tonight. Still have one more side and the feet to do. But just started the grill and have tatoe's on.

Eddie

Lookin good Eddie. Are you using the CW to do the miters?
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    Lookin good Eddie. Are you using the CW to do the miters?
    Good question, I would like to know too. The first picture looks like it might be going into the sled with the miters and rabbit already cut. But maybe that was on the way out of the CW?

Craig

No the box was built first, fitted together as seen in the second picture on the first post. Then I carved each piece one at a time using rails to hold the sides.

The carve region was made a little larger than the actual wood length. therefore the extra tape (three layers) on one end to be sure the bit has a touch down point. It just carves air for a few passes, then cuts wood.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    therefore the extra tape (three layers) on one end to be sure the bit has a touch down point.
    Eddie,

Be aware that you have two choices to control where the bit touches. You can set an option that asks you to position the touch-point (I do this), and you can stop the machine when it is going to touch-down and jog it to a better position (I have only done this once).
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 05-31-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Ken, I had heard of stopping it, and tried but could not jog, and well was already into it and did not look for the option to tell the cw to ask me where to touch down at. The tape works, and I figure I will be looking for the option next time. Thanks for reminding me.

here is the box with the top sides, front and back carved. Still need to do the feet. All held togeather with rubberbands for now. miters look good but better when pressure in on the sides.

I plan to use biscuits on the miters for strength in assembly, and lots of clamps.

Inside will have felt attached before glueing.
    Last edited by eelamb; 05-30-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Eddie

Default Inside the box

Eddie,

Not to prolong your project but, flocking really dresses up the inside of a project like that. Really easy to do if you "puff" the fibers onto the paint/adhesive.

I had never done it before the boxes I made my daughters a couple of years ago. Incidentally, my avatar is currently my girls (Including my wife and her daughter).
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Ken I had thought about the flocking. I have not done that before. This should be a good time to try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got the feet carved, they are the ones someone posted here, the filagree feet for a box. When it came time to change to the 1/8 cutting bit, all was well until the second time it touched the swing out arm. It touched hard and I got the z axis stall. I believe it was error 313. Tomorrow I will check it out and see if I have a problem or not. If so I will be searching here for a fix. If the problem continues I will be seeking help.

I do have a question, looking for suggestions as to a finish for cedar. Was planning or acrylic, or lacquer. But if anyone has a better suggestion I am open to suggestions. My plan was, first coat of sanding sealer, then follow with three coats of one of the above.

Eddie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast