Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user with ? about Mac SW version

1. Default New user with ? about Mac SW version

I imported a jpg image into the software and saved it according to the directions, now I want to load it so that I can work with it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas where the program saved it to? I have tried searching for it under the name I saved it as, but all I can find is the jpg file, not the project. Did I do something wrong? I tried following the online tutorial, but it is oriented towards Windoze users (as usual).......
    Thanks!
    John

John,
    Even in windoze i sometimes have that same problem when it come to saving anything especially with the vista version!

What I sometimes do is go through the same steps of saving it again and watch where it wants to save it the second time and then change it to where I expect to find it, I hope the Mac works the saame way for you.

Once I locate the proper directory where I expect to find it and save it I can save additional items without having the problem.

Not only with the CW program do I have this problem, my grandkids do the cyber school thing and my wife is all the time looking for where things were saved, I keep hearing her say look in the recent documents folder to the kids.

Welcome to the forum and the CW, looking forward to seeing what you can do with that Mac.

John

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJohn View Post
    I imported a jpg image into the software and saved it according to the directions, now I want to load it so that I can work with it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas where the program saved it to? I have tried searching for it under the name I saved it as, but all I can find is the jpg file, not the project. Did I do something wrong? I tried following the online tutorial, but it is oriented towards Windoze users (as usual).......
    Thanks!
    John
    If you never imported it into Designer as a pattern, all you have is the jpeg. To import with the Mac, open the Pattern tool(blue shell) & control click on Favorites.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

4. Default

Well, I used the "Import Image" tool, and then saved it (I thought to "Favorites"), but I looked there for it and can't find it.

5. Default

I just tried it again. Used the "Import Image", then saved it to favorites (I thought as a project file, unless I'm misunderstanding the process). Went to "Favorites" to load it into the program and all I can find there are sample project files. Once again a search in the Finder only brings up my original jpg file (I saved it under a similar name). I don't understand why I cannot find the saved file!

within designer, are your clicking on the pattern tool (the seashell looking thing). Then it will show a patterns list on the right.. with two "folders".. a favorites and a basic. Your pattern should be in favorites. You can not located "saved" patterns outside of designer... unless you have also purchased pattern editor.

7. Default

The seashell icon is grayed out and I can't click on it. I'm going to the folder icon and clicking on "Open". If I then go to the Favorites folder, my file is not there. Not as a project or a pattern or anything else for that matter. I'd sure like to know what is happening when I import and "save" my image, because I can't find it where it should be. This is really frustrating, because this seems to be a fairly simple process, but I can't seem to get it to work. And for many of my planned projects, I really need to be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJohn View Post
    The seashell icon is grayed out and I can't click on it. I'm going to the folder icon and clicking on "Open". If I then go to the Favorites folder, my file is not there. Not as a project or a pattern or anything else for that matter. I'd sure like to know what is happening when I import and "save" my image, because I can't find it where it should be. This is really frustrating, because this seems to be a fairly simple process, but I can't seem to get it to work. And for many of my planned projects, I really need to be able to do this.
    Again.. you will NEVER find it outside of designer. Favorites within designer IS NOT the same as your Favorites FOLDER in your file system. Did you you start a new project? You have to see a designer board on your screen in order for the pattern tool to not be greyed out.

Doug Fletcher

I don't know if it's this simple, but you actually have to have a project board open to use the pattern tool. Are you just opening the Designer, or are you opening Designer and loading a new project?

See pics...

Good luck,
    Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   5.jpg  

IndianaJohn, if you haven't yet figured this out, I'm thinking it may be something that happens to me - the list on the right-hand side needs to be opened. This list, hidden when you open Designer, is where the jpegs/pngs you import and turn into patterns are shown, in a list called "Pattern List," and every time I open Designer, it has closed itself.

So I would try this: Open the software. Select 'new project', 'last project', whatever, and then click on the View menu in the menu bar. Select Toolbars from the menu, and I'm guessing you will find that the one called "Pattern List" will not have a check next to it. Select it. The Pattern List will appear and you should see a small thumbnail of what you've been importing with the name you entered just to the right of it.

Create a board if you don't have one on screen. You should then be able to drag the pattern from the 'Pattern List' on to the board in the virtual space on the left.

Anyway, get used to that, because you need to do that every time you open Designer in OS X. Maybe there's a setting I haven't seen that will cause the program to remember to keep the pattern list open, but I haven't found it.
    Last edited by Billions; 05-22-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast