Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Safety

I hope this doesn't start a series of SS threads like on other forums that never seem to end. Congrats to those who got the saw you want, but please don't let this thread devolve into a referendum on why everyone should have a SS. A better direction would be to give a short description of what you were doing or the mistakes made when you had an accident or tripped the SS flesh sensing technology (kickback, splitter use, guard use, inattention, etc...). This could help newer TS users from making the same mistakes. Sorry for the rant, but I have seen the direction this is going before. Stay safe.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JDPratt View Post
    I hope this doesn't start a series of SS threads like on other forums that never seem to end. Congrats to those who got the saw you want, but please don't let this thread devolve into a referendum on why everyone should have a SS. A better direction would be to give a short description of what you were doing or the mistakes made when you had an accident or tripped the SS flesh sensing technology (kickback, splitter use, guard use, inattention, etc...). This could help newer TS users from making the same mistakes. Sorry for the rant, but I have seen the direction this is going before. Stay safe.

John
    Why does this bother you enough for a rant? The topic of the thread is Table Saw Safety and is a link to the SawStop video. We have only been talking about the SS, nobody is saying everyone should have one, and nobody is saying "My SS is better than your insertbrandhere"...

To each their own...

Craig

Can't find it right now but back East there was a law suit where I believe Delta was sued from a guy I think cut off his finger and the basis of the suit was that Delta did not have a stop system that may have prevented fingers from being cut off. The Saw Stop was used to demonstrate the system. Jury awarded big amount.

Quote Originally Posted by eromran View Post
    Thanks for the link wish i had that a couple years back luckly all i lost was the very tip of my thumb you can hardly tell now but it makes you think.
    Same here, except mine happened back in high school about 8 years ago. Took off the tip of my index finger and cut down into the rest of my fingers. Blade was maybe 1/16th of an inch taller than the material I was cutting, but it still took my by surprise.

Inattentiveness is probably one of the worst things to have in a shop.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    Can't find it right now but back East there was a law suit where I believe Delta was sued from a guy I think cut off his finger and the basis of the suit was that Delta did not have a stop system that may have prevented fingers from being cut off. The Saw Stop was used to demonstrate the system. Jury awarded big amount.
    Wow, I can't believe that. Delta never advertised that they have a stop system, so why would you expect it? That would open up frivolous lawsuits for all manufacturers of any power tool. Crazy world..

Craig

I believe the inventor of the SawStop cartridge did not want to build table saws. He wanted the current makers to include his system. I believe it was stated that it would add $150 to the cost of their table saws. They didn't want to do that. So he started making his own. They look like very well made saws.

I too had an incident with my table saw. Did lose any fingers but two fingers are numb at the tips. Orthopedic surgeon did a great job. I counted at least five mistakes when this happened. Main one, taking the guard off. I'm not sueing Sears because of my stupidity.

I seen this demonstrated at a woodworking show with a hot dog, very cool.
    Mark
    www.pineacreswoodshop.com
    Home of Thorpe Custom Acoustic Guitars and Baddass Electrics

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    Here is an article regarding the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPratt View Post

John
    Isn't this the point of a forum to have discussion regarding a topic. Who knows where the discussion will go. It's not like when you are talking to friends you establish a subject and never have tangents. I have seen threads posted where people end up talking about where they live. Oh and they ended up getting together to purchase wood from the other. And by posting your comment you just made me write more about it than the subject that the whole forum is about.
    CHECK OUT MY SITE/BLOG!
    WWW.MANCAVECARVINGS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Why does this bother you enough for a rant? The topic of the thread is Table Saw Safety and is a link to the SawStop video. We have only been talking about the SS, nobody is saying everyone should have one, and nobody is saying "My SS is better than your insertbrandhere"...

To each their own...

Craig
    I am sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was not my intention to bash anyone who has a sawstop (hard to convey in written text). Others who are members of the "other forum" will attest that SS threads tend to get out of hand sometimes. The threads usually devolve into "My saw is better than your saw, because..." I welcome discussion on safety and making everyone a safer, diligent, and better woodworker. Let's just say I was trying to make a preemptive rant that I would rather evolve the thread into safety and lessons learned than "Everyone should own this saw, because..." If you had seen some of the threads I am talking about, I think you might know more about where I am coming from. Sorry that I didn't convey my sentiment better.

Since I can't see the youtube that started this initial thread, I thought it was about the SS. Wish I could afford the SS. Maybe if I do enough carves, I'll be able to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast