Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pattern help for Army Board

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Hi Chris,

I've done something like that a few times a while back,
    That just sounds great Ken and opens up a whole new avenue of thought for me. Thanks so much for sharing that. Sure would LOVE to see some pictures of what you've done.

Being that I don't have a lick of artistic "finishing" talent, this could be a wonderful answer to that.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Barb sold the ones I made at a Sewing and Quilting Craft Shows she was at
    over a year ago. I,ll do a few more and photo the steps to post here, when I can.
    The trick is to wet the paper from the back, then peel and rub the paper off leaving just the picture
    and colors imbedded in the flexible Decoupage Decal.
    They look great applied in a carved region of a box lid or even a wall plaque under a few coats of clear sealer.

Ps. You should stain, paint and seal the project's surface before applying your new printed Decal
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    First attempt. Settings in these pictures are....(The perspective shot is just to show depth relationships and details)

Pattern Depth = .375"
    Pattern hight = 150
    Pattern size (on this board) = 12" x 10.931"
    Original pattern size = 6.313" x 5.75"
    No Feather
    Bit Opt. = Best
    Draft = Small

Region depth = .125"
    Chris,

This pattern came out great. I'm curious about the process you used. I found your PDF on making patterns and I followed it as closely as possible. I only have PS Elements 6 so there was no "surface blur" but the "smart blur" did have what I believe is the same set of parameters and end result.

I came up with a somewhat useable pattern but the results were not as clean as yours. Did you follow the procedure you laid out in your PDF exactly or were there some additional steps you took to get these results? Did you do any additional editing in the Pattern Editor?

Thanks
    John
    John

Ok I searched for the pdf chris made. can someone help me out here. Would like to read it myself.

thanks in advance.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Ok I searched for the pdf chris made. can someone help me out here. Would like to read it myself.

thanks in advance.
    Eelamb,

sorry, I got some info wrong in that post. It was BJ that created the PDF. It is located in this thread, http://forum.carvewright.com/showpos...71&postcount=7.

Chris, I am still wondering what you used to get those results. If you look at the PDF that BJ created, is it along the lines of what you did?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    Chris, I am still wondering what you used to get those results. If you look at the PDF that BJ created, is it along the lines of what you did?
    Hi John,

Well it's pretty easy to do but very lengthy to explain. So hopefully, the pictures will add thousands of words. Still, these are just the overall steps taken and not a breakdown of each step. I did start a step by step PDF tutorial years ago but alas, much to my dismay, I never completed the second part of it due to life taking a sudden and hard turn on me. One day though.... ...LOL

First, I use Paintshop Pro Photo X2 (my favorite) to do this. The first thing I do is increase the DPI to 600 using pixel resize. This isn't so much for the final pattern's quality. It's just to make the editing smoother when selecting eliments to erase. Once all parts that don't belong are gone, I save it as a PNG.

The PDF I made is WAY too big to post here but if you send me your email via PM, I'll be happy to send it to you. It's only a rough draft and of course based on the X2 I use but it explains the "cleaning up" steps in detail. So long as you can closely mimick those steps in whatever program you use, you'll get there.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot1.jpg   Shot2.jpg   Shot3.jpg   Shot4.jpg  

Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedWoodshop View Post
    Nice work ... I think I want to carve one of those and paint it. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have time on Monday.
    Hey Jason! Long time buddy.

Very nice to hear from you sir and thanks for the kind words. If you do happen to carve it, please let me know how it turns out. I'm still really itching to get back to carving. I "may" have found a path that will allow me to at some point down the road again. Keeping the faith!
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    You know Ken? That would be a GREAT idea!

One could print out the color picture on very thin tracing paper (a little large to account for wrapping it over the raised areas). Cut out the sections that don't belong and "paste" it to the carving brushing it down tight to all the nooks and crannies like you would when doing a fiberglass mold with strips and resin.

Hmmmm....sounds like a cool project and maybe a neat way to get the colors. Then seal the whole deal..
    Chris - you and Ken completely lost me on this process. I am not following what you are doing. Kind of like teaching Calculas to a 1st grader. Although it does sound like this would make a great future Tips-and-Tricks. I would be interested in seeing this process.

Hay Chris, Just like riding a bike clean the rust off and your riding again, very nice pattern I like all the input here good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by RayTrek View Post
    Hay Chris, Just like riding a bike clean the rust off and your riding again, very nice pattern I like all the input here good stuff!
    Hey Ray,

Nice to hear from you brother. I hear ya but there's a pretty thick layer of rust....LOL

Still scraping though... ....
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast