Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody seen this yet?

1. Default

I understand all of your points but from a real world perspective it is just a toy. There are a lot of people that could never touch any kind of cnc if it wasn't for the CW. Yes you can make money with it but it's too limited and the quality isn't up to my standards. There are certain aspects of the software that other programs don't have but it doesn't do them very well at all, again to my standards. As i said, i bought one to show the powers that be what i could do with a CNC router, sometimes i'm just embarrassed that the quality just isn't there. I find myself explaining to someone that this will be better with another machine when they don't even see the issues i do. Now to LG if i had interest in making guitars etc i would look into the $175 software that can do what you do but there's no need. On top of everything, i just think of business i would turn away if i went public with the CW as my main machine. The reliability just isn't there and neither is the capacity.

MH

Toy or tool, it doesn't really matter what we call it. I for one am glad they are available, even with the frustrations they sometimes cause.

I am a non business hobbiest, which is the market this machine is targeted to. I don't think LHR has ever made any dispute about that. There are plenty of us that own 2 or 3 (or more) machines that could easily have gone with another CNC solution. Money isn't always the issue. I have limited time to spend on my hobby, and prefer not to have to learn the software that powers those large CNC's.

Bottom line I guess, it's a buyers market and you show your support with your dollars. Plenty of people have decided this is not the machine for them and sold them right here on the forum.

I hope nobody takes offense, as I mean none to anyone.

Everyone enjoy your machine, regardless of which one it is. I will stick with my CW.

Happy Carving,
    Craig

I've worked in machine shops for over 30 years. Ran cnc mills, lathes. If it is a machine it will brake down sooner or later. I don't like running large cnc machines in the shops but I love my Carvewright and Rock chuck. Just my 2 cents for the night.

CJ

Default real world perspective

i just think of business i would turn away if i went public with the CW as my main machine. The reliability just isn't there and neither is the capacity.
    I think if you need more capacity you would never buy a smaller tool right? case in point my 14" bandsaw bearing and casting OD went south and i needed to replace it
    only prob it was a 1200.00 saw, since it was a Delta i ordered the smaller 500.00 unit to use the bottom casting, before gutting it i gave it a try it was way under powered for what i needed.

Most of my fellow smaller shop guitar builders probably feel the same as you and most of them are using hand routers and plexiglas jigs thats fine but a lot of work in my book not to mention the jigs get trashed quickly. Some even get giggly with duplicating routers with a bicycle hand brake to slow it down, talk about a odd way to build a Les Paul top.

I feel no need to tell them as you can't teach a old dog new tricks. I imagine in a year or two some of them will say WTF was i thinking and that's called progress in the arts.

Here is a duplicate carver that i never intend to own.

Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-19-2010 at 02:18 AM.

i bought one to show the powers that be what i could do with a CNC router, sometimes i'm just embarrassed that the quality just isn't there.
    The quality output by any machine is directly proportional to the quality of input (i.e. operators skill and quality of input file.) We can look at all the great stuff LG, MT and others produce to prove the point.

The CW is a great machine for its intended purpose, while it does not have the absolute accuracy of my CNC mill, it offers a much larger working area and the software is much easier to use. My point is that there is not one perfect machine for all purposes.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead781 View Post
    I understand all of your points but from a real world perspective it is just a toy. There are a lot of people that could never touch any kind of cnc if it wasn't for the CW. Yes you can make money with it but it's too limited and the quality isn't up to my standards. There are certain aspects of the software that other programs don't have but it doesn't do them very well at all, again to my standards. As i said, i bought one to show the powers that be what i could do with a CNC router, sometimes i'm just embarrassed that the quality just isn't there. I find myself explaining to someone that this will be better with another machine when they don't even see the issues i do. Now to LG if i had interest in making guitars etc i would look into the $175 software that can do what you do but there's no need. On top of everything, i just think of business i would turn away if i went public with the CW as my main machine. The reliability just isn't there and neither is the capacity.

MH
    MH I too know the CW has not received the respect or title of CNC. I know I am a crazy one for selling my new never used PS Alpha 4896! It really wasn't just having the CW! I got tired of going to shows to have people holding a beer with 3 or 4 empty cups in one hand and a corn dog in another and tell me my sign 6" by 24" finished for $36.00 was too much money! Or the most famous one I have a router and I can make that!

So we bought a chuck wagon that lost a wheel 4 times to sell old fashioned soda! Now they tell us $6.00 for 32 oz novelty tin mug of soda is too much! Of course holding a $6.00 12oz beer! Or they don't want to carry the mug around all 4-6 oz of it! We added paper cups and solved that!

Like I said I still have my K2 smaller CNC and it is new and never used. I hope to mess with it one day or sell it! The CW has been the ticket for signs though and I have not seen anything that I would be embarrassed about. I have had some chip out on small raised lettering that was my fault in design.

Could you share what is not to your standards? I know what you mean being embarrassed, but with my hand routed signs. I am in the groove sometimes and then sometimes I am not and will make a new sign because I just don't like how it turned out! My wife tells me it is fine and I never tell the customer I can do better!

I guess we can look at the CW as the gateway CNC! It makes us want bigger and fancier machines! I am happy with mine with the size and it does what I need it to do!

I completely understand your point of view and it is your right to share! I hope your CW will do some projects to your liking! If not like I said the SB Buddy is pretty cool and I wish it was available when I bought mine. I would still have it! My choice is the 48" wide model and with the sliding table they copied CW's belt system. It can make an eight foot sign and when you are done it becomes compact!

I wish you the best of luck in your search!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead781 View Post

MH

I've had my CC for 3 years from the very first carve I was amased at the quality of the carve this little machine was capable of. Being I am a electrican & work on machines all the time that cost a lot more than what a Carvewright will cost you I knew there would be maintenance to do to keep it running. I have learned a lot from reading this forum there are a lot of great people here that will help all you need to do is ask. I can't speak for your machine but mine just keeps getting better with the updates and learning from this fourm after every carve I just say WOW. AND MY CC IS NOT A TOY! But I like better than any toys I've ever had.

Jim
    Last edited by Nighthawk12; 05-19-2010 at 11:02 AM.

MH,

I looked back over your 123 posts and I really don't see anything of value posted to the forum. It's all a bunch of "This is Junk" over and over.

We get you are disappointed, we get it.... 123 times.

Sell your machine and find a new dog to kick. When you buy that Industrial Machine with the powers to be, and learn the Software, come back and show us what you have made. We would be happy to see what you have done. Using the CW as a Stepping Stone into the Big World Of Industrial CNC's. We all need to start somewhere...

It's like you are a parent yelling at a little league team 123 times, because you want to be in the Major League but don't have the ability.

In other websites they call what you do posting negative all the time being a TROLL.

And it looks like we are Neighbors too...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al - I love the new avatar.

I was looking for a bigger machine a year or so ago i had a few things that were selling at the time and i wanted to mass produce or at least make more than one at a time, I did a lot of studying and question asking before i was willing to lay $8000 or more on a bigger machine. My answers came from members of sawmillcreek forum which they most all agree that the carvewright is to small and more as a toy than the real deal. but the answer i got on carving 3-D patterns led me to buying more carvewright/compucarve machines. The bigger cnc do not carve any faster in 3-d than the carvewrights and if your larger more expensive machine goes down then you are down , I now have 4 carvewrights/ compucarves in my shop 3 are running and one is for parts as of now so if one goes down i still have two running and am not down and not producing . I only wish i could i could produce Vector carves easily on my machines with designer
    I love my compucarves/ carvewrights they have helped me get into a market that i would probably would never have tried before getting them
    sorry this was so long but i wanted to throw out some of my feelings about my machines.
    steve

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast