Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Website

Default New Website

Well I decided to make my own website. Hopefully making it easier for friends, family, and future customers to visit. Right now I am trying to keep it simple without a shopping cart, really just to keep initial costs down. Not to mention I really don't have an inventory at the moment. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Chris

NOTE: I do understand the pictures are not the best quality, they were taken before I thought this would be an option.

WWW.MANCAVECARVINGS.COM

2. Default Look good

keep up the good work.

Well you've got a good start going there, keep it up and add those pics as they come available.

CJ

Great start Chris! Don't forget the Meta Tags like "description" and "keywords". It will make a huge diff for the search engines to pick up your site for indexing. Good Luck!
    LeatherMan from:
    www.JustLeather.Com

Chris,

Looking real good for a start up!! Looking forward to your updates!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default web sight

I'll keep watching you, looks good. Capt Barry

Very Nice work

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

I appreciate everyones input and am working hard to get more work to showcase. One thing I am having a problem with now are that people want work with proprietary trademarks on them. How do you all look at this? On the business side I like it because it's business. But on the other hand I wouldn't like someone stealing my stuff without paying for it.

@Leatherman - I am currently building this in iWeb so I am working into that but not exactly sure how to add those within the pages because there isn't any HTML involved.
    CHECK OUT MY SITE/BLOG!
    WWW.MANCAVECARVINGS.COM

Very nice design of the website. Great Name and Logo.

Remember if you reserve the web name for 5 years you have a better chance of being picked up by search engines. They say the one year reservations are ignored by search engines.

As for Logo's and Trademarks.... I think Clint said it best..... "Do you feel Lucky?....." If you do it as a hobby and make something and give it to one of your kids or a friend you "Might" not have a problem. If you make any money on it.... It could get ugly....

When I was in Philly working for Sony, there was a local Vinyl Shop that I got to know. He went out of business and I asked around and found that he made a Harley Banner or decal that was 15 feet long. A Biker put 2 of them on his trailer and at a show the Harley guys asked.... Where did you get the 15 foot banner....? All we can get is the 12 foot version......

O'... Here is his card... He makes lots of Harley Stuff...... So his customer gladly gave up the source and didn't even know what he had was illegal.... Harley took the business..... Most likely not the first....

So everything you make with a trademark or logo on it is a ticking time bomb.... Before it comes back and bites you...

In my opinion, it is not worth it.... I even turned down work for the VFW because they go after anyone making stuff with there logo.... Boy Scouts, and many other groups. Most charge a fee and you have limits.....

I turned down a Donut project as when I asked for permission to use the logo was shot down. Even the Women's Group "Red HAT" restricts the logo use.

Because it is SO easy to use Logo's with the Laser, I have studied this in detail.

There was a post about this topic a year ago and most here were not too worried about the issue...

I use the CW for a business so I am careful what I carve.

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-13-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Remember if you reserve the web name for 5 years you have a better chance of being picked up by search engines. They say the one year reservations are ignored by search engines.
    As a professional website designer (that's the business I am hoping to get out of with my carvewright, lol)... I can assure you this is an urban legend. It has absolutely zero impact on search engine rankings.

As to my impressions of your site, Chris... It looks great for a self made site. I have seen worse looking supposedly 'professionally designed' websites.

All in all, it is a great website for a starting business.

...However, it does bear a few hallmarks of a self-made website, and if/when your business starts picking up, you may want to look into having a pro redo it for you. (Not looking to do that myself, as I mentioned, am trying to retire from that line of work.)

As I often tell people, though the metaphor is less recognizable/applicable nowadays;

"Your website is like a billboard on the information superhighway... and just like a real highway people are cruising past at high speeds. You need to grab their attention quickly, and keep it - yet still maintain a professional appearance... if you want to get their business."

Good luck!
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast