Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How (Not) to Make a Picture Frame

Default How (Not) to Make a Picture Frame

PART 1 (of probably waay too many parts)

If you're not interested in My blow-by-blow account of my frame, read no further

So, my lovely Sister-In-Law asked me to make a "shadow box" style frame for a crocheted butterfly (don't ask me, I pretend to be a woodworker).

I played around with a design or two, and came up with a plan. I told her that I could accommodate her, and in fact, had some very old, rough sawn walnut her (and my) Father-In-Law had given me, so I'd use that, and she'd have some of his to remember him by.

So, pic one is the butterfly, pic 2 and 3 are of the raw wood.

Gotta square the boards - pics 4 and 5.

Part 2 forthwith (can only post 5 pics, and I'm not smart enough to post more).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Butterfly 1.jpg   Boards 1.jpg   Boards 2.jpg   Square em 1.jpg  

Square em 2.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default Part 2

Squared, now I gotta cut them to rough size. Done, now they gotta be planed, sanded, and placed on a sled (oh, did I mention that the carve for the four sides of the frame, set to Optimum, is 22 hours and 45 minutes?)

Used a sled, for many reasons - One, I'm not going to screw up a long carve like this. Two, I originally designed the carve to provide for 45 degree cuts on the corners, etc., but I currently don't have a cutting bit, and I trust my table saw to get me closer, 'cause this better look good - Sister-In-Law, remember?

So, that changed.

Part 3 forthwith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ready for Planer 1.jpg   Plane em.jpg   Sand em.jpg   On The Sled.jpg  

Carving Away 1.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I read it all and am looking forward to more.

Oh yea, you should have thrown some sawdust on the floor cause the guys are going to jump all over you for being too clean.

My curiousity is peaked. I can't wait for the next installment. By the way, Nice shop! Are you sure this isn't just a shameless way to gloat about your tools?

Default Part 3

I should also mention that I hadn't lubed the Flexshaft for about 200 hours, and since I'm gonna be sleeping thru some of this, I stopped to lube it. Loaded the sled, and guess what? Dreaded "Close Cover" message.

Damn, tightened the screws on the switch, and solved the problem, so off we go to carve!!!

Seven hours in, FS shaft temp is about 92 degrees. 20 hours in, temp's at about 79 degrees (swear to God).

20 hours in, carve looking good (thanks Fredrick).

Two pics of the finished project, right out of the machine.

Finished carve time - OMG!!

Part 4 forthwith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Temp at 20 Hours.jpg   Carving Away 1.jpg   Out of the Machine 1.jpg   Out of the Machine 2.jpg  

Carve Time.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Part 5 (I think, I've lost count)

OK, so yesterday was Mother's Day, did My Honey-and-Mom-Do's, so you got all I got - you'll have to wait till next weekend for further installments.

But, here's the MPC, you're welcome to it, just don't blame me if it don't work for you.

BTW, I AM bragging about my QC, and my original FS

This last pic in the series shows the MPC - lots of reference lines for my benefit - they don't make a diff in the project, just my peace of mind.

Next installments next week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noname.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Really Beautiful with the Walnut! Only problem I see as mentioned above is the CS.

(CLEAN SHOP)

8. Default Welcome!

To the 20+ club!

(Or maybe it was not your first 20+ hr carve...)

BTW- The frame looks B-e-u-tiful!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Excellent work !!!!! GREAT SHOP !!!!!!

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default frrame

cnsranch
    i see you have a shopsmith.........like it ?
    bought me used one bout a year ago.....one thing about it if i have any questions or problems i call and they answer free ....made in usa in dayton ohio
    denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast