Thread: Scanning probe Question?

Default Scanning probe Question?

I was wondering how big of an oject can the probe scan. I was thanking on buying the cw.thanks

Default Scanning

searcherman,

Since there are no responses yet, I'll add a few.

The height and width of the sled to hold the scan object is 5" X 14.5" so depending on the sled material used, you can calculate the maximum. The length can be 10' or more if you support the ends with roller-stands and stay up very late.

One other consideration is the .8" carving depth for the resulting pattern. I believe that the probe can scan twice that depth but not sure about the exact dimension.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

From the scanning probe manual:

"The dimensions of the sled can vary but the maximum width is 14.5" and the maximum depth is 2 1/4" from the mounting surface to the top of the rails. There is no maximum length but any sled over 3 feet long will require additional standalone outfeed support rollers."

"The maximum height that the scanner body can clear is 1 inch. If the object to be scanned is taller than 1 inch in any location, check for possible interferences between it and the probe body. Interference is posible if there is a 1 inch tall point in the object within 1 inch of a portion of the object that lies at a depth near the mounting surface."

EDIT - Now that is from the manual right out of the box. I have never used my scanning probe, so I am sure there are some tricks to get more out of it. I seem to recall someone using glue tips to get more depth, but it may have been just to keep from scratching the item being scanned. Search the forum, and I am sure some other folks with more scanning experience will post up as well.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by c6craig; 05-30-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add