Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LHR, Is a Demo version of DXF importer an option?

Default direct questions a demo would answer

Watching the tutorial videos there are a few things that I want to test. They show the import of a vector file in the first video but they don't show what that image looked like in the vector drawing program ahead of import. They show the line thickness is determined by the profile depth tool within designer. Is this the only way to determine the depth and profile of a line? I don't want to have to do that as it would not accurately translate to the original drawing I create in a vector drawing program. Why wouldn't it work the same as the Centerline importer which uses the thickness of the line to determine the profile of the cut?

Like Spalted, I have always believed a demo version of software should be common practice. The creator can put limits on the software so they are not giving it away. Especially when you get into niche software like this that does only one thing you should allow users to see if it does what they need it to do before plunking down the dough.
    Last edited by jgowrie; 05-12-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: answered one of my questions by watching the 3rd video , ;)

2. Default dxf importer questions

I mostly use autocad to create precise linework into dxf files. I use paint shop pro 9 to create png files since some jpeg looses detail when saved.Paint shop pro 9 can be bought on ebay for about $10.00. I use win topo freeware to turn png into dxf vectors . 99% of the vector editing has to be done outside of the carvewright dxf importer.Dxf importer is a pretty basic program more suited to importing than editing. It looks like line thickness can be controlled only by changing the depth of the v bit or copying an identical line and manually placing it beside the original. I attached a link below on where to get the win topo freeware for making png into dxf vectors for import into the dxf importer.

http://www.wintopo.com/dl-wintopo.htm

3. Default

The whole point is that this is just a filter to bring in lines from dxf format. This should be an included feature. All other cam programs included this. Vectric's Cut 2D has this option along with the ability to draw in the program. That program itself although limited is only $200. If you consider the cost of the software included in the machine and my experience with the machine. I believe about 25% of the cost of the machine is for the designer software. That's about $500 worth. For $500 this program should already have Centerline Text and Dxf import. From Vectric, $600 gets you all of the above in their Vcarve Pro Program along with the ability to import images for V carving and milling. It however doesn't have the raster carvings or options like the slt importer. Vectric's Cut 3d imports 3d objects in a much broader range then the SLT importer at a cost of $300. There are other options available. The biggest thing here is that LHR wants this machine to be 100% Proprietary. They will only give what they think they can make the most money on. If i felt like playing. I would see what the machine's port really is for. If Emc2 or Mach3 can indeed control this machine it might be a worthwhile adventure. Take Slt imp. Centerline and Dxf importer you get a total of $500. Add the aprox cost on top of the machine for designer that's $1000 worth of software. That's $500 short of Vectric's aspire package and $50 more then a package including Vcarve pro Cut 3d and their Photo Vcarve programs.

Just my two cents.
    MH

So LHR are just going to ignore this?
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

I have virtually bought everything LHR came out with as soon as it was available... with the recent exceptions of the carvtight and dxf importer. Most of the add on's I feel have been way over priced for the functionalitly they provide. I've decided to wait on the dxf and hope they lower the price like they have on many of the other upgrades after time.. or I will continue to just use ai2mpc for conversion of vector objects to mpc elements.

Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    They were probably hoping this thread was dead. My guess is they will continue to stay quiet and not respond. Eventually the thread will go quiet. I gave up hoping for a demo.

This is copied from vectric's web page and I wish LHR would do the same so people can try the upgrades/add-ons to make sure they will do what the user requires them to do.

Welcome to Vectric.com

The home of affordable, innovative software solutions for your CNC machine including Aspire, VCarve Pro, Cut3D, Cut2D and PhotoVCarve.

All of our software is available as a Free Trial Version to Download allowing you to cut sample files on your own CNC router or engraving machine.
    Last edited by jgowrie; 05-25-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    John

I have post asking the same thing. I am frustrating with this entire business world right now. Between taxes and things like this, it is getting ridiculous. Just give us a bone every once in a while. It is not like we are asking for all the software be free. Just this package. I use AutoCAD and Solidworks. There are allot of converts free in those programs. Just humor us or lose us. It is LHR's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    They were probably hoping this thread was dead. My guess is they will continue to stay quiet and not respond. Eventually the thread will go quiet.
    That sounds like a challenge. I have time to monitor this website and keep this thread on top or at least active EVERY day until we at least get a response. Am I alone on this? Do I need to keep this going alone ??
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

I think that to get LHR to listen, we need more people to offer their opinion.
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

Default DXF to copy

I have used autocad and copy the image on screen, and then import from clipboard. That worked for me.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast