Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LHR, Is a Demo version of DXF importer an option?

Default LHR, Is a Demo version of DXF importer an option?

I ask this because I spent $200 on Font editing software at the end of 2009 because I was under the impression CW software would not be supporting the direct import of vector files. Now that this has actually come to be true with the DXF importer, I've read some of the manual but I'm not convinced it will do much better job at importing vector line art into Designer when compared to using Centerline and font images.

I'm specifically wondering about the ability, or lack of it, for DXF importer to "import some native DXF shapes" and how this will affect the images I am currently importing using the Centerline plug-in.

I've also seen the carve time of projects rise substantially when splitting an image across two boards. I'm wondering if this issue would go away if using the DXF importer. I think it may because when working with vector images that I have created with Designers drawing tools, and then splitting this across two boards, there have been no issues. If you need to see what I'm talking about search " curious machine behavior ". There is a full thread which documents these issues of the machine moving around "off the board".

A 30 day trial which allows me to fully utilize the DXF importer would be nice. It would certainly help justify spending another $200 on a proprietary package that I hope would do the job right. It's an expensive upgrade, for me at least. I don't mind making the purchase if it makes my life easier when importing vector line art into designer, but if it doesn't I certainly don't want to have to spend $200 to learn it won't.

So what do you think, LHR?

I support this motion fully. How can you expect someone to invest in a $200, only to find it's not suitable? The software is non transferable, so you're stuck with it. I find it really quite unfair of LHR to offer these expensive upgrades without demos. There are plenty of limitations that could be implemented to protect the license. In a sense I'm glad the DXF importer has been launched, as I nearly bought the STL importer to try to do what I wanted. It's only since the DXF importer came out that I have realised buting the STL importer would have been a big fat waste of cash.

Please respond
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

Default psst, LHR

*bump*

I don't want to be a pest but I have one particular project coming up very soon that would be difficult to work with as a dingbat imported using Centerline text. The new DXF importer might work for me but I'm concerned with buying the license only to find out it won't suit my needs.

IF there is a chance LHR would allow a demo version of the software so I ( and others that have expressed interest but concern over the license requirement/price ) can experiment to see if it would serve my needs, it would be real nice to know.

thx
    John

Me Too!

Default Demo

I too would like to see a demo version. To me 200.00 is a lot of money. I bought the CW sight unseen and was a little shocked by the some of the things about it.

6. Default

If a Demo is not in the future, why not make the program available at the Demo locations. My wife has a very expensive computerized sewing machine, and when an upgrade program is issued we can see it and use it at the dealer. My two bits.
    "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
    ~Groucho Marx~

A demo sounds like a reasonable request, after all what got me hooked on buying the cw in the first place was the 30 day demo of Designer.
    John

Exclamation psst, psst.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcpb321 View Post
    A demo sounds like a reasonable request, after all what got me hooked on buying the cw in the first place was the 30 day demo of Designer.
    John
    Good point. The original demo I had of the software is also what hooked me on eventually plunking down money for the machine. This new DXF export feature could really promote additional machines sales since it performs a function that is needed.

Again, many of us always wanted this feature for sign carving or engraving line art but ended up having to find alternative ways of getting vector images to work through importing dingbats. This required purchases of FONT editing software to make up for this shortcoming. A demo, to prove to these customers that the purchase is worth the money, would be appreciated!

If there is no chance of offering a demo, please say so and I'll just continue working the way I have been with other external software and I'll stop pestering and holding out for a chance to dry the DXF importer. At least until the economy gets better and I have extra money to take the leap of faith.

9. Default dxf importer review

I bought the dxf importer about 2 weeks ago. I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
    Pluses - You can import highly precise vectors from autocad dxf files. There is very precise control of depth of cuts. The click and drag selection box allows for fast selection of hundreds of lines. Vectors can be edited. This will be great for signmaking and making precise mechanical model parts. Carvewright has some really cool country store and ranch sign dxf importer demo videos on their website.This will really make the Carvewright a great pocket cnc machine.
    Minuses - Cost. You have to vectorize your artwork BEFORE it can be opened by the dxf importer. It really needs the ability to vectorize png files. If you dont have png to dxf software a free downloadable program called wintopo will convert png lines into dxf vector lines. It Doesnt support text imports or certain vector lines that may be too detailed. It sometimes crashes designer while importing dxf files in windows 7.

I would really like to demo it also. I see a great need for it but $200 is a bit to swallow if it is not what I need.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast