Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a fix

Default Do you have a fix

this was during the first carve I did after getting the machine back from having it serviced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2008.jpg  

Is that a chuck missing from it? What happen a lighting bolt hit it?
    Last edited by PCW; 05-07-2010 at 10:02 PM.

no the mACHINE caught fire during a carving, and caught my garage on fire, and tons of smoke damage.

Do you know how yet? I see rain in the background, did water get on it while it was carving and cause a short?

Craig

PS - Sorry to hear of the damage..

Ooooo. sorry to hear of your misfortune .....
    ver 1.162
    -If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    -If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, Boeshield T-9

Quote Originally Posted by cwfreitas View Post
    this was during the first carve I did after getting the machine back from having it serviced.
    What were you doing when the fire started? What bit were you using and what material? Did it happen while using the cutting bit?

Wow I have never seen this before, I am so sorry to see and hear this.

Ike

What's kinda wierd about this is that there was a time once that I was carving a project and I kept smelling something like burning wood as the project was finishing it's carving around the project. When it finished, I took the board out and was using my vacuum hose to get the dust out. I then noticed a burning ember in between the two roller belts (on the plastic). The ember was bright as I held the hose on it trying to see what it was and if the vacuum would suck it up. Anyway I took the hose away and touched it with my finger and burnt the heck out of it cause the plastic had melted in the one spot and had now gotten on my finger. After I made sure it was not burning anymore and let it cool down. I also wound up having to scrape the burnt spot some so my "slide rail" could move passed it. I then rechecked the just finished board and noticed that the bit was cutting thru a knot in the wood in that area and I suspected that it might have had "pitch?" in it? Because when I placed the board back in the same position in the CW, the burn spot corresponded with the burn plastic spot on the CW. Anyway, all is fine now and as I said, I had to scrape down the burn spot (smaller than a dime) so my slide rail could slide passed it for smaller width boards (the spot was close to the middle in between the roller belts). Maybe something similar happened to your machine? I'm now careful not to get boards with too many knots in it ..... lesson learned. Does this make any sense to you guys? Maybe it's just me... Oh, I also got rid of my cutting bit cause I noticed that it was kinda black too and thought something might be wrong with it. Of course now I make sure that my bits are cleaned after a couple of carves on ANY project. Just things to learn along the way I guess.
    Last edited by chebytrk; 05-07-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Sorry to hear about your fire.....

I had kinked my Flex Shaft internal spring once and when I started carving the smoke detector went off above the machine. The Shaft was twisting inside the kinked spring and the metal to metal melted the rubber flex shaft.

Makes my posting yesterday about the cut motor exhaust into the dust collection a little more interesting.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al, you have a very good point on that cut motor exhause....as I have mine going back inside the machine to help dust and chips stay moving so it can get sucked up. One thing I've got going is when my machine is running it is in an enclosed block fruit celler....not much can burn there except the machine and dust collector.

CJ

I was using a cutting bit on clear pine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast