Thread: Hey Pro Sign Makers, Care to Give Advise?

Default Hey Pro Sign Makers, Care to Give Advise?

I've been a carpenter and woodworker for 20 some years, but since I got my CW I have found that I am becoming a sign maker. I have no intention of becoming the local sign shop. I live in a small town and we have a fantastic sign shop, but they are not targeting the residential market, and thats were I can come in I think. We have a huge vacation home community that seems under served.

My question is, were do I turn to learn the proper way to make quality signs?

Any online forums that you guys visit regularly?

Don't get me wrong I have learned tons here, just trying to expand my knowledge base further.

I've been googling of course, but I thought you guys may have some suggestions.

Off hand I'm thinking about finishes and finishing products, that seems to be a weak area for me. As well as painting techniques, such as antique finishes, faux guilding and other specialized finishes.

This machine can do Homeowner signs easily.... And in the right market there is money in it. I am working on 5 signs now.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07935_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    I've been a carpenter and woodworker for 20 some years, but since I got my CW I have found that I am becoming a sign maker. I have no intention of becoming the local sign shop. I live in a small town and we have a fantastic sign shop, but they are not targeting the residential market, and thats were I can come in I think. We have a huge vacation home community that seems under served.

My question is, were do I turn to learn the proper way to make quality signs?

Any online forums that you guys visit regularly?

Don't get me wrong I have learned tons here, just trying to expand my knowledge base further.

I've been googling of course, but I thought you guys may have some suggestions.

Off hand I'm thinking about finishes and finishing products, that seems to be a weak area for me. As well as painting techniques, such as antique finishes, faux guilding and other specialized finishes.
    I sent you an e-mail!

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    This machine can do Homeowner signs easily.... And in the right market there is money in it. I am working on 5 signs now.

AL
    DigitalWS,

I really like the sign "rack" you have created! Good idea to sort out existing/finished projects. Is that something you use to bring the signs to a "show" or "market"?

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris, I was thinking that was a drying rack.

As you can see, when Al goes into production mode he doesn't screw around. You should see some of the pics of his fire accountability tags....

Craig

Al,

What is that item in the middle photo?

Chief

Default Dual

I would say that it is a "Dual purpose" rack, for drying and for carrying to his events.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Yeah I have checked those tags out, pretty good market. I am a police officer and was in a fire meeting about a year ago when our fire department purchased a round of tags but they were nothing like those!

I have some wood laying around I may make one of those racks with the CW. well at least the sides.