Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head assembly is stuck

Problem is the stock I use most of the time is very close to minium for size even getting a single side or one set run is about all i can set up. large sections of stock are not my friend for these projects. Also I am not looking for a high production item just something to make (at present at least) nice grips for friends or single sales if asked.

Just North of the South Side, Western Edge of the Eastern Slope, Denver.

All right, put your mpc where your forum is.

I am no supergenius with it, but I bet somebody else here is. And give us the lowdown on what software version you are using and how you are running the pattern, etc. As much detail as you can please. And what wood? And a pic, closeup, of one of your finished grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    All right, put your mpc where your forum is.

I am no supergenius with it, but I bet somebody else here is. And give us the lowdown on what software version you are using and how you are running the pattern, etc. As much detail as you can please. And what wood? And a pic, closeup, of one of your finished grips.
    My main media to work with at the present time is Inlace Acryster
    it come in 1.5"x1.5"x6" blanks. I have to cut down to a .3" slab for the cuts

Other than this I am working with mostly oak, walnut, and purpleheart.

Sorry no pics of finished projects yet due to none coming out to my satifaction.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What if you shrunk down the area there you are wasting on carving out, that would probably take another 20% off the run. This is a scan, right? You might need to try a couple of other ways to transfer your pattern in order to make it come out cleaner, I'm not sure.

What if you shrunk down the area there you are wasting on carving out, that would probably take another 20% off the run. This is a scan, right? You might need to try a couple of other ways to transfer your pattern in order to make it come out cleaner, I'm not sure.
    I came to the same conclusion earlier today on compacting my run. As far as the scan goes, thats about the best i have been able to clean it up. going to run a few tests tomorrow. I also removed the cut for the jig, that will save a little time and frees up about an inch of stock to use for cutting inlay patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by odsratt View Post
    I came to the same conclusion earlier today on compacting my run. As far as the scan goes, thats about the best i have been able to clean it up. going to run a few tests tomorrow. I also removed the cut for the jig, that will save a little time and frees up about an inch of stock to use for cutting inlay patterns.
    here is an updated version of my basic run. The 2 skulls on the outside are for inserting to inlay projects. just trying to get the most out of a work piece.
    Attached Files Attached Files

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

I tested vectorizing the punisher skull and cut its carve time from 2 mins to a little over 1 minute.

Also, adding 1/8" feather to the stocks will cut down the carve time from 8mins each to 6mins each. This is because making the machine carve by "diving" into the wood takes longer than "sliding" down a feather.

[QUOTE=Metallus;129763]I tested vectorizing the punisher skull and cut its carve time from 2 mins to a little over 1 minute.

Also, adding 1/8" feather to the stocks will cut down the carve time from 8mins each to 6mins each. This is because making the machine carve by "diving" into the wood takes longer than "sliding" down a feather.[/QUOTHE

The problem with a fether is i am using a perfect fit jig. if i use a feather on the cut i have to recut the jig everytime. no time saved and more wasted material. the last one i posted i had removed the jig outline from the cut but it is still there. Also I am cutting these at on optimal setting so you need to look at 60+ min cut times.

I think you could get a better quality if you flipped the pattern and board 90 degrees so that the bit is running the length of the carve, but I dont think your stock will allow for that.

Are you using optimal or best? There is about a 50% cut in time to go down to best, and I have seen situations where optimal doesnt really give you all that much of a better product. Oh, I see you are using optimal. Have you tried Best?

Talking

I think you could get a better quality if you flipped the pattern and board 90 degrees so that the bit is running the length of the carve, but I dont think your stock will allow for that.

Are you using optimal or best? There is about a 50% cut in time to go down to best, and I have seen situations where optimal doesnt really give you all that much of a better product. Oh, I see you are using optimal. Have you tried Best?
    Have not tried best. may run a set today at that level. As far as running with a 90 shift. I am not sure i have enough free boards laying around to make that big a jig for such a small piece. like using an aircraft carrier to land a remote control plane.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast