Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to order Carvetight or Rock - a few questions

Default Need to order Carvetight or Rock - a few questions

Today while cleaning my QC through the method of lifting and dropping the QC flange - everything popped out and the spring and ball bearings came out. Nice - guess it's better it failed while I wasn't running the job I had just loaded.

So everyone knows that design wasn't the best and it seems "just in time" for my QC failure I've got the option of two replacements.

First question is does Carvewright fully warranty their new Carvetight system against defects like Ron does for the lifetime of the product or is their policy still the same as it was on the QC?

*edit* I removed the second question because I just found the answer on RJ's website

Has anyone removed their carbide bits from the QC adaptors to use with your Rock Chuck. I just spoke with C.S. at CW and they said it's very difficult and frequently results in bit damage. Is this just a marketing response or is this most likely the case on the carbide bits? That is a significant savings not having to buy new bits and would lean me more in the direction of Ron's chuck.
    Last edited by jgowrie; 05-03-2010 at 04:04 PM.

I use the Rock and I am still using the bits that came with the QC adapters. You just have to heat them up a little with a portable propane or similar torch to loosen the locktite in them. Use a vise if you have one or a couple pair of locking pliars (i.e. vise-grips) and once you have it heated up, tap the bit out from the top side. The damage will come if you allow the bit to come out and fall to the floor. Make sure there is something under the bit to catch it (don't use you fingers or hand, it is HOT!! DAMHIKT).

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    Today while cleaning my QC through the method of lifting and dropping the QC flange - everything popped out and the spring and ball bearings came out. Nice - guess it's better it failed while I wasn't running the job I had just loaded.

So everyone knows that design wasn't the best and it seems "just in time" for my QC failure I've got the option of two replacements.

First question is does Carvewright fully warranty their new Carvetight system against defects like Ron does for the lifetime of the product or is their policy still the same as it was on the QC?

*edit* I removed the second question because I just found the answer on RJ's website

Has anyone removed their carbide bits from the QC adaptors to use with your Rock Chuck. I just spoke with C.S. at CW and they said it's very difficult and frequently results in bit damage. Is this just a marketing response or is this most likely the case on the carbide bits? That is a significant savings not having to buy new bits and would lean me more in the direction of Ron's chuck.
    I'm betting nearly all of us rock chuck users have removed their bits from the qc adpters for use in the rock chuck. Most of mine came out with minimal effort. I only had one or two that where a little stubborn. I cant see how you would damage the bit... there is a possibility of completly destroying the qc adapter but the bit should be fine.

Doug Fletcher

Thanks guys. I think I will remove my bits from the adaptors tonight since I won't order a new system until tomorrow. If they come out clean, I think I'm going with the Rock system based on the cost savings and the proven track record that system has. The lifetime warranty is pretty encouraging also.

I just installed my new rock chuck this morning and I took my old bits out of the QC adapters. (I also order a couple of new bits when I ordered my Rock chuck.)

I couldn't be happier with my decision to order the Rock Chuck. Ron has been very helpful, a top notch guy in my book, and the chuck is very nicely made.

Well, it took 5 minutes, a torch and vise and my bits came out like butter so I suppose it was marketing BS. Thanks for the help guys! I just save myself around $60 I figure.

Exclamation Just So You Know....

It may save you $60 now, but just so you are fully aware...your warranty agreement is voided with any unauthorized modifications or alterations. I would hate for you to lose 6 months worth of warranty, because you didn't know. It of course is your choice.

LHR's position has been and still is...carbide bits WILL slip without the hard pressed adapters...GUARANTEED.

Well then could you please state the following:

1 - What is the warranty with the QC installed?

2 - What is the warranty with the New LHR chuck installed?

3 - What is the warranty with the Rock Chuck installed?

I have not been able to find this out since the QC was removed from the warranty.

Also, 'Guaranteed' in the carbide statement is pretty strong. Is Commercial spindles on CNC's that have steel holding carbide going to slip? My point here is that there are MANY commercial CNC machines, routers, etc. that use carbide shaft bits every day. Isn't LHR making this bigger than it really is?

Please answer all of the questions as I am very interested in learning. I'm sure others are as well..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    ........your warranty agreement is voided with any unauthorized modifications or alterations..........

Not to highjack this thread.......I'm very sure I will not be the only one....lol

My question:
    I cut my cover to install a much needed point for dust collection, so my warranty is voided then, correct?
    Last edited by spalted; 05-03-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    It may save you $60 now, but just so you are fully aware...your warranty agreement is voided with any unauthorized modifications or alterations. I would hate for you to lose 6 months worth of warranty, because you didn't know. It of course is your choice.

LHR's position has been and still is...carbide bits WILL slip without the hard pressed adapters...GUARANTEED.
    I was under the impression that use of the rock chuck did not void the warranty as it was not covered by the warranty... any damage caused by the use of aftermarket accessories could void the warranty, but use of said parts would not by themselves void it. If this is the case, then it needs to be very clearly spelled out-- because it has not been very clearly spelled out in the past. Does this ring true for dust collectors as well-- or for "home made" muffler covers? How about grounding systems? I'm not being a smart Alec here, I would truly like to know if this is the case.

I have to be perfectly honest with LHR here-- the way this new chuck has been introduced has been both a positive and a negative for me. I am very happy that LHR has listened to the needs of their customers and introduced a new chuck- and it is obvious that a LOT of work went into it. If I didn't already own a Rock chuck (which I am THRILLED with) I would probably consider buying it. This being said, I am at the same time disturbed at the "fear tactics" that are being introduced to discredit a proven accessory many use. I have not done scientific testing but I can say that I have not experienced any real-world slippage-- why can't the company just say "here is our new chuck-- we are very proud of it" instead of attempting to discredit other --time proven-- chucks?

Making a "guarantee" of slippage with a product that is not your own seems a very unprofessional way of promoting what appears to be an excellent new alternative chuck for this amazing machine we all enjoy so much.

With great respect,
    Lawrence

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast