Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CarveTight first impressions

Default CarveTight first impressions

I got the email and read the Tips on the new CarveTight, but did not intend to "upgrade" because the QC had been working for me. Well, a few days later my QC failed and took a bit adapter with it. How did LHR do that? So, rather than replace, I decided to go with the new, even though it meant scrapping 4 cutting and carving main and backup bits and changeover on my others.

Installing the z-truck was not terribly difficult, but I had done it before as my original broke under warranty and I had replaced it myself. The supplied T-handle wrench for installing and removing bits is too short because of my dust collection, but fortunately I have a longer one that works well. It is at least as easy to install and remove bits as the QC even with the required tool, given that the QC is prone to sticking from time to time even when well lubricated.

I expected a bit better carve quality, but I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement. The photos are of what was meant to be a test carve of a new design, but the piece came out good enough to be a final. I am now getting better quality in "standard" mode than I was getting in "best", which I usually ran. The attached is "standard" in pine with no finish work done yet.

I have a db meter but had not made earlier measurements, and as my QC was broken, I could not make comparison measurements. Subjectively, I can't say that I detect a noticeable difference.

Based on the improved quality of carve, ease of maintenance, and expected improvement in reliability over the QC, I'd recommend the upgrade.

Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Donzi clock.JPG   Donzi clock close.JPG  

Nice work!

LG

Hi Dick -- did you take a reading with youryour db meter and if so what readings did you get?

Bill

No, I didn't. I didn't think to take a reading before the QC broke, so I have nothing to compare against after. I don't think that it is too meaningful to take a single reading, because I suspect room acoustics plays a big part. And of course there is the dust collector noise that contributes almost as much in my case. But I can if you like.

Thanks Dick -- I understand. If you do measure the sound level somethime it would be interesting to know even though our shop acoustics are probably different.

I'm getting 94-97 db about a yard in front (strait out from the operator's panel) of the machine. Up to 101 db to the right, and up to 102 to the left (muffler side). I get another 1 db or so when I turn on my dust collector. This is during a carve, and the noise varies as the depth etc. changes. The carve is up to .5" deep.

I have my machine isolated in a small room about 10' x 8' in a crawlspace, so it's not even 8' tall. Back wall is concrete and side walls have no wallboard on the inside. The ceiling is covered in Homosote.

Dick -- thanks for the decibel readings. I know our shops are different but it gives me something to think about on reducing the noise level. I haven't seen anyone else on the forum mention or post their noise levels which is the only issue I have now -- I guess because it is basically a router and routers make a lot of noise. I've had the Rock and Ringneckblues DC adapter for a couple of months and they have all but eliminated mechanical problems, Now that I'm carving instead of working on the machine I've turned my attention to the noise levels -- especially for those five to ten hour carves. I'm not throwing away my ear plugs yet. I need to get a db meter too.

Thanks again,

Bill

The Homosote panels that I put on the ceiling, which is our main floor, made a big difference in noise transmission upstairs. Not that it eliminated it, but it is much more tolerable.

http://www.homasote.com/products/440-Soundbarrier.aspx

My local building center carries this.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I have regular ceiling panels now.

After a week or so and a dozen carves, I have two strong impressions about this new chuck. First, one of life's simple pleasures is how much easier it is to change bits with no maintenance. The QC is not missed. The second is I am still amazed at the improvement in carve quality. Maybe my QC was worse than most, and my results are not typical. But after getting the results that I have been getting, I would make the switch for quality alone even if my QC hadn't broken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast