Thread: Need help with a vehicle mount for a Laptop

Default Need help with a vehicle mount for a Laptop

I would like to make a nice vehicle mount for some Dell Mini 10's. I will be carving them out of Lexan. I would like for the laptop to fit snuggly into them. I have attached some photos of the profile and bottom of the laptop with the top open and closed. I know how to make all of the cutouts for vents and whatnot, but I'm not sure how to do the curved edges at the front and back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6213.JPG   IMG_6214.JPG   IMG_6215.JPG   IMG_6216.JPG  

Last edited by jeff412; 04-29-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Anyone got any ideas?

maybe scan it and then use the scan as an inverse?

Lawrence

4. Default

I've done a few projects like this including a couple cell phone covers. I've attached an mpc. Inverted domes are set on each side with a rounded edge. To carve through the edge of the domes. Turn the shape's clip carving setting to exclusive.

Good Luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Jeff

Just North of the South Side, Western Edge of the Eastern Slope, Denver.

Default Laptop Holder

Hey there,

Friend of mine worked for the Communications side of things for the state and got me a laptop holder from one of the old state trooper vehicles. After fiddling with it for a bit I decided against drilling any holes in my floorboards, (infiniti sedan/family truckster). That and the fact that I have a hard enough time staying off my blackberry while driving just led me to believe that a laptop would be a bad idea. There were two options on holding down the laptops to the stand, screws that came in from the bottom in specific places, and I think there were some straps too. Anyways, if you mounted the laptops down with screws through the base of the laptop you wouldnt have to cup the design around the base of the laptop so much, not that it wouldnt look shnazzy if you did it that way, but it is anything but necessary.

I agree that I could do it that way, but I wanted to show off a little. Anyway, here is what I've done so far. I am having trouble with the feet though. I want them indented, but since they are in a carve region, I can't get them to do it. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files