Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mandolin

Thanks all!

Lets check the mandolin top carve..

Not bad but the V60 bit for the f hole did not match Designer could be a centerline thing. My F hole shoud be .50" wide it's about .20" on the f hole wood top..
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-03-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Default World size

when importing a 3D model check your world size and calibrate if necessary.

All 3D programs have local measurements and world scale measurements or units. Each program has it own octree or world size sphere.

If I have a neck for the mandolin thats 14" long in Lightwave its always 14" long relativity speaking. However if i import into Maya it still 14" long but Maya's word size makes it 32% smaller. I just need to rescale the object world size as a way to translate 1:1 of it scale so it matches, or just input 14" in x

I takes a few trys then your golden.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Wow!
    Very cool of you to take the time to update us with your Mandolin, I see your fret calculator sheet 24” scale length it is larger than it looks.
    Very well done indeed and look forward to seeing it progress

What a sweet display of your amazing workflow!!! Thank you. It shows just what this machine is capable of with the correct knowledge of what it can do.

p.s. and now I know what has been missing in my life, to be "organically tessellated."
    ver 1.162
    -If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    -If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, Boeshield T-9

Fantastic, Fascinating!
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

Great stuff! It's great to see this from model to real world. Big thanks for the process info!

Default Good Friday :)

After fixing the neck to add some thickness under the 9th fret " like in a jazz guitars" I finally decided to assemble, glue up and string the mandolin i been working with for a test run.

i will need to do a lot of sanding but it sounds fantastic..

Here is the new neck shape:

I will include some photos of the jigs i make for the head stock triming, frets and tunners later if folks are interested..

Here is the back side of the mandolin, I need to trim the volume control cavity a little as i ran out of depth " over .9" during the carve . If the back plate sets at .8" i should be fine.

Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.

WOW! Cannot wait to see it with the finish on. Just Beautiful and I have enjoyed reading each step. Thanks for sharing, just BEAUTIFUL!!!

Simply Gorgeous Brandon!.... Thanks for sharing the process. I cant wait to see the finished product!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

That is (once again) impressive, outstanding, and... well... impressive work-- Thank you so much for sharing the process with us; it just highlights the skills you have and once again shows your dedication.

Great job
    Lawrence

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast