Thread: Easy 3D patterns from sihlouettes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Easy 3D patterns from sihlouettes

Like many, I have struggled with learning how to create good patterns. Directly importing pictures often produces disappointing results. I’ve explored a few 3D CAD and modeling programs, but the learning curve is steep and it takes some skill to master.

I’ve had modest success using 2D drawing programs to make gray scale drawings, which the Designer and machine convert to z-axis height. Through trial and error, I stumbled across a technique using a free drawing program, paint.net, which resulted in a very nice pattern for one of my latest projects. You don’t need a lot of artistic talent to do this – believe me!

Attached are a logo and the resulting carve after making the pattern with this technique.

I’ve outlined this technique in a tutorial and put it in a pdf document. It’s too big to attach here, but you can find it at http://www.customwooddash.com/docs. I hope you find it helpful, and would appreciate any feedback.

Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lion and dolphin.JPG   lion and dolphin pine.JPG