Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy 3D patterns from sihlouettes

Default Easy 3D patterns from sihlouettes

Like many, I have struggled with learning how to create good patterns. Directly importing pictures often produces disappointing results. I’ve explored a few 3D CAD and modeling programs, but the learning curve is steep and it takes some skill to master.

I’ve had modest success using 2D drawing programs to make gray scale drawings, which the Designer and machine convert to z-axis height. Through trial and error, I stumbled across a technique using a free drawing program, paint.net, which resulted in a very nice pattern for one of my latest projects. You don’t need a lot of artistic talent to do this – believe me!

Attached are a logo and the resulting carve after making the pattern with this technique.

I’ve outlined this technique in a tutorial and put it in a pdf document. It’s too big to attach here, but you can find it at http://www.customwooddash.com/docs. I hope you find it helpful, and would appreciate any feedback.

Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lion and dolphin.JPG   lion and dolphin pine.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Like many, I have struggled with learning how to create good patterns. Directly importing pictures often produces disappointing results. I’ve explored a few 3D CAD and modeling programs, but the learning curve is steep and it takes some skill to master.

I’ve had modest success using 2D drawing programs to make gray scale drawings, which the Designer and machine convert to z-axis height. Through trial and error, I stumbled across a technique using a free drawing program, paint.net, which resulted in a very nice pattern for one of my latest projects. You don’t need a lot of artistic talent to do this – believe me!

Attached are a logo and the resulting carve after making the pattern with this technique.

I’ve outlined this technique in a tutorial and put it in a pdf document. It’s too big to attach here, but you can find it at http://www.customwooddash.com/docs. I hope you find it helpful, and would appreciate any feedback.

Dick
    Dick,
    I have not looked at your pdf yet, but thanks for the post. Just to let you know there are a lot of who do use paint.net already as our image editing tool prior to importing into designer. For what it can do compared to the pay for programs you can not beat the price...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hi Dick, Nice Job!!

Like fwharris mentioned, there are a lot of who do use paint.net already,
    I admit I'm just one of folks that often uses Paint.Net to modify or enhance
    many of my drawing before I import them into CW Designer ---
    it's got good tutorials, and an easy learning curve, plus is a hoot to play around with.
    http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default very good tut

thanks a bunch.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Even I understood how it works and I am very .ptn challanged.....

Thanks !!!!

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Very good work! Excellent tutorial for folks wanting to make their own patterns at no cost at all! Would have made a GREAT Tips & Tricks! (and given me a little time off to boot!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I suspect there are lots of users that read Tips but not this forum. Use it if you like, or contact me.
    Last edited by DickB; 04-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I suspect their are lots of users that read Tips but not this forum. Use it if you like, or contact me.
    Hmmm. You may be right! Does anybody else have any opinion whether this should be made into a Tips? It is certainly very, very appropriate for that, but I don't want to have anyone feeling like they are getting redundant info, since you can already download it from here already. I do think Dick brings up a good point - not all users frequent the forum and could miss this useful and valuable tutorial!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Sounds like a great idea and then it is cataloged in the tips and tricks without having to do a search in the forum for the info at a later date. especially for new users.

I just saved the tutorial with all my Tips & Tricks and down loaded the program. I have yet to read and install, but it looks like something I have been looking for. If you make it a Tips & Tricks, you need to include a link to the program download, or a copy of the program.
    Clint

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast