Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Maple

Default Cutting Maple

Hello out there,

Is it ok to cut maple with he cutters i have heard that hard woods are not good for them as the wood is really hard.Any thought out there would be great.
    Thanks,

Thumbs up

Maple carves beautifully on the CW/CC. I've had no problems, including dulling the bits, with a dozen or more projects.
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Default Hardwood and corian

flamesrule,

The CW carves hard wood just fine, just remember not to do full-depth cutouts in one pass. And, use sharp/clean bits.

I have carved mainly oak, poplar, purpleheart, and pine plus some walnut, cherry, and corian. I have not had the pleasure of carving maple, but I believe that purpleheart is harder.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

4. Default

About 95% of my 700 hours of carve time has been with maple, walnut and cherry. My bits have lasted longer than I would have expected.

Thank you guys for the input i will give it a shot carving a project right now on maple....

Hard wood turn out great...not as much fur compare to soft pine....thus save a lots of sanding time.

I've had great luck with maple...
    Here's a sign I did for a co-worker in maple...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thewrights2.jpg  

Dhaffner, That is a really nice looking sign.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I love Maple. but that could be that i got 2 pallets of drawer fronts and blanks already glued up, blanks are12 to 13" wide about 24 to 36" long from my nephew.He gave them to me since he got them free from the cabinet factory here in town, they all have a tiny problem somewhere but most are tiny so they are great to cut things out of, so that is why i love maple it's FREE. till i run out. He got it to burn as firewood. I like all maple but the soft maples are not as good of a finish, curly maple is harder on the bits and wormy is real neat looking because of the little holes now and then and the pattern running through it. It is hard to find wormy maple down here anymore because they are selling most of it to the pulp mill now.

just had to add my opinion for what it is worth.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaffner View Post
    I've had great luck with maple...
    Here's a sign I did for a co-worker in maple...
    What is the font that you used in this sign, I am looking for something like that but can't find something that I like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast