Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheat & Weave Bread Box - Project of the Month

Michael,
    Very cool! You continue to amaze me, not only are your projects beautifully done, they inspire.
    I enjoy your imagination brought to life to no end.
    Ray

Excellent work!

Could you tell us what wood you used?

Your mix of finishing materials seems a bit strange to me but sure looks nice in the photographs. Please don't get me wrong... 'strange to me', does NOT mean that it is wrong in any way.

I only wonder about the advantage of using clear acrylic under the coats of Polycrylic. I am NOT a big fan of gloss finishes but yours lools beautiful.

Michael,
    Simply beautiful design and execution. For one who is still just getting his feet wet, do you need to be using the latest Designer software version each time to be able to use the Project of the Month, the "Wheat & Weave Bread Box" project and others going forward? I've been hesitant to upgrade until the bugs are worked out each time and now I note further problem reports even yesterday with the latest. Thanks as always for your input and masterful designs.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by will george View Post
    Excellent work!

Could you tell us what wood you used?

Your mix of finishing materials seems a bit strange to me but sure looks nice in the photographs. Please don't get me wrong... 'strange to me', does NOT mean that it is wrong in any way.

I only wonder about the advantage of using clear acrylic under the coats of Polycrylic. I am NOT a big fan of gloss finishes but yours lools beautiful.
    Hello will george,

I used Select Pine wood - dry, flat, usually readily available in most user's areas. I think it would look great done in white oak, maple, cherry, mahogany...red oak MIGHT chip due to its very open grain, although I did use a small draft to help guard against that, and would recommend running on "Optimal" for red oak...I used "Best".

Ha! Sometimes I think my combinations are a little strange too! Believe it or not, there is (usually!) some method to my madness.

I'm going to do a write-up in the Tips & Tricks on finishing techniques that will present some reasons for applying a finish (layered) in a particular order. (The Bread Box actually becomes a Satin finish the way I did it.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Michael,
    Simply beautiful design and execution. For one who is still just getting his feet wet, do you need to be using the latest Designer software version each time to be able to use the Project of the Month, the "Wheat & Weave Bread Box" project and others going forward? I've been hesitant to upgrade until the bugs are worked out each time and now I note further problem reports even yesterday with the latest. Thanks as always for your input and masterful designs.
    Thanks, Captain!

I created this project using 1.162, but I believe what usually occurs at CarveWright's end, is it automatically converts to the most current software release when the licensing is encoded for the project files. I think you'll be ok to upgrade to 1.163 - seems to be a minor issue with some splines drawn in previous Designer versions, which wouldn't affect this project at all anyway.

You may want to do what many of us do...that is, make a copy/paste of your previous version install (in Program Files) before installing an upgrade. That way, you can run either one you want. (I have copies of a few previous versions, although I don't run the previous ones anymore, I keep them around anyway!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Default Various Designer Versions

Thanks Michael,

I thought that might be the case with the POM packages. I guess it's about time for me to upgrade Designer and as you noted keep my prior software "versions" under another package name. I think there was a Thread (or 2) addressing just how to accomplish that trick so I'll go back searching in the Forum.

I do appreciate your coaching and handsome work Sir.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Excellent work!

LG

Michael,

This being my first project of the month I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I have to say your plan was very thought out and assembled perfect.

I just don't know how you find the time to do all you do and not to mention staying as creative as you are. Good work

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Michael,
    This being my first project of the month I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I have to say your plan was very thought out and assembled perfect.

I just don't know how you find the time to do all you do and not to mention staying as creative as you are. Good work
    Thank you, Dan. What a great job on your first POM - I LOVE the woodgrain and the finish you chose that enhances it so well! Thank you for sharing your project photos!

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the chess/checker boards in the background - I assume you made those too?! Nice work! (One of these days I want to design a chess set.)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-08-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Nice job PCW, looks great, love the wood grain & finish. My next thing is joining the carvers club......

CJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast