Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Carve-Tight chuck released...

Default collet

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Hmm,

Some of the rock user have a lot of hrs running this combo without any probs.
    unless MT is some sort of machinist wizard like Ron J in the industry this is just second hand info, however the warning is taken.
    LG
    This excerpt from a tool making firm may give us the reasoning.
    "Bit and collet condition
    The condition of your bit and collet are important to the quality of your work and your personal safety. Inspect your collet regularly for signs of wear; replace immediately if you suspect any damage. Rust and corrosion on either the bit or the collet reduce the collet’s holding power. Keep the collet and bit free of lubricants that might loosen this bond. Always insert your bit all of the way into the collet and then back it out a little (1/16"). This will help insure it is properly seated. Make sure the collet is free from sawdust, shavings, or any other foreign bodies. As a safety precaution, you can mark a vertical line on your bit’s shank and a matching line on your collet. Line the two lines up. After you finish using your router check the lines. If they are not lined up any more, your bit is slipping in your collet. This is a sign that it might be time to replace the collet. "
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I don't think I'm a wizard at anything, much less machining! Yep, bit slip verified by Carvewright engineers and by me based on the large number of calls I receive from 'certain chuck' users who have z-errors much more frequently than even any QC owner I've ever known!
    Well.. I am sure you have much better first hand knowledge that I do... but it sure seems to me that virtually all of the "bit slip" issues that showed up on the forum where nearly all caused my the user not aligning the flat correctly. And certainly when i was a "new" rock user that was anything but clear to me. Once RJ posted the pics that made it very clear is seemed as if the bit slip issues disappeared on the forum. I know RJ did post what the clamping pressure was with and without sleeves..... I dont recall what they were off hand but it sure did seem like it would be unlikely to slip. I'm not sure what your Z issues were but those that posted on the forum seemed to be with the use of collars and sleeves.

Doug Fletcher

I don't think I'm a wizard at anything, much less machining! Yep, bit slip verified by Carvewright engineers and by me based on the large number of calls I receive from 'certain chuck' users who have z-errors much more frequently than even any QC owner I've ever known!
    MT,

I think all you need to do is tell us that LHR recommends this system and not make it a marketing issue here thanks..

LG

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    MT,

I think all you need to do is tell us that LHR recommends this system and not make it a marketing issue here thanks..

LG
    OK - CarveWright recommends this system and this is not a marketing issue.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

OK - CarveWright recommends this system and this is not a marketing issue.
    LOL

LG

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Well.. I am sure you have much better first hand knowledge that I do... but it sure seems to me that virtually all of the "bit slip" issues that showed up on the forum where nearly all caused my the user not aligning the flat correctly. And certainly when i was a "new" rock user that was anything but clear to me. Once RJ posted the pics that made it very clear is seemed as if the bit slip issues disappeared on the forum. I know RJ did post what the clamping pressure was with and without sleeves..... I dont recall what they were off hand but it sure did seem like it would be unlikely to slip. I'm not sure what your Z issues were but those that posted on the forum seemed to be with the use of collars and sleeves.

Doug Fletcher
    Yes, I believe that improper bit alignment/positioning was a main source of the bit slip problems in the Rock. The issue can range from a minor inconvenience to a broken or thrown bit in any chuck, if the user does not use prudence. I recall Ron and I had that discussion some time ago here on the forum. I have never personally used a Rock myself, so all I have to go on is the feedback from the engineers and the calls from users, which I always tell them to be careful how they mount the bit and contact Ron if they have any other questions specific to the Rock. I should add that I think he has a fine product. The choice lies with each individual what they think is best for their machine.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Maybe I am simple but if this was an issue wouldn't it be true for Porter Cable, Bosh and all of the other router manufacturers? I mean, I use a 3 1/4 hp router with my CNC and have never had to use carbide bits with pressed on sleeves to keep from having slippage. The big thing with them is if I do have to use a collete that I use the proper type because of runout. Legacy recommends the Eliminator chuck with the router for my 900/CNC.

I have been using the Rock for a long time and have never had a bit come loose. I suppose it is possible but I have not had it happen.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    Maybe I am simple but if this was an issue wouldn't it be true for Porter Cable, Bosh and all of the other router manufacturers? I mean, I use a 3 1/4 hp router with my CNC and have never had to use carbide bits with pressed on sleeves to keep from having slippage. The big thing with them is if I do have to use a collete that I use the proper type because of runout. Legacy recommends the Eliminator chuck with the router for my 900/CNC.

I have been using the Rock for a long time and have never had a bit come loose. I suppose it is possible but I have not had it happen.
    Hi Steve,

Your bits for your conventional router are likely not 100% carbide bits with a carbide shank - it may be more likely the cutting flutes are carbide and the shank is steel, so bit slip shouldn't be an issue on your hand router...plus a hand router is not normally used for continuous hours of carving! Kind of apples and oranges there, I think. I don't know about the larger or special CNC chucks - I have no personal experience with them. I'm sure there's all sorts of chuck design variations out there for other machines.

If you've had no variegated lines in carvings, no LCD z-errors, no errors during bit homing and/or at bit swap during a project, no variation of carving depth during long carves, then it sure sounds like the bits are staying in place!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-24-2010 at 01:52 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,
    Actually a lot of the bits I buy for the CNC are all carbide and I have had them run between 18,000 and 20,000 rpm for 4 and 5 hour carves. I think good maint/inspections and other good practices eliminates a lot of problems.

Thanks for the good reviews and tips! Keep them coming..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

10. Default

I'd like to know how many hours LHR's engineers spent making sure we would have no other choice than to use the pressed-on collar bit they sell.

As for bits slipping in the collar, I never had this happen in my modified eliminator.

Makes me wonder, if something goes wrong with the Z truck and you have to replace it, will you be able to save the spindle and get it installed on a new Z truck to save some money, or will you be stuck with trashing the whole z truck and buy a new spindle?
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast