Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Carve-Tight chuck released...

Default sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by klingler View Post
    So you're saying I don't have a choice here... I need to get the sleeves on the bits?
    As I read the PDf, I see that the new bits will now come with the sleeve/collet "pressed on".

You will need at least one collet for the other 1/4" bits, and could use it on the Cutting & Carving bit (for, light, short duration work), if you want to take the chance of having to redo your project due to the bit loosing its position. I think most times it will move upward. However, if it "plunges" your $$ problems out weigh the savings.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Speaking of tolerances and runout..every company I know of has a range of tolerances for a component. What is the acceptable amount of runout of the one piece spindle before it would be rejected? Are they all dead on or is the variances between spindle's of a few .0001 or less? (Mostly just a curiosity on my part going back to my experience with RC Helicopter shafts.. with the blade tips moving well over 300 mph you can see how even a little runout get magnified greatly)

Doug Fletcher

I'll definately be sticking with my Rock until the wheels fall off... I am very happy with its performance.

This being said, three cheers for LHR for listening to us as consumers and creating an alternate chuck which is obviously (from what I can see in the pictures and from y'all descriptions) superior to the QC.

Also thank you LHR for stating that you will continue to support the older chuck style-- this assures those of us using rock chucks of backwards-compatable parts... I for one appreciate the gesture even if it is not overtly stated.

And one more thank you for discouting the STL importer... once again this is a good business move to create business... and a good PR move. An order may be coming from me soon.

I hope this does not seem like too much rear-end kissing... but it constantly amazes me how attentively this company listens and adjusts their product to our needs... often for no charge... and many folks still seem to not understand how rare and commendable this is.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Speaking of tolerances and runout..every company I know of has a range of tolerances for a component. What is the acceptable amount of runout of the one piece spindle before it would be rejected? Are they all dead on or is the variances between spindle's of a few .0001 or less? (Mostly just a curiosity on my part going back to my experience with RC Helicopter shafts.. with the blade tips moving well over 300 mph you can see how even a little runout get magnified greatly)

Doug Fletcher
    Hi Doug,

I don't have the figures, but I can tell you what they told me. The initial prototypes had such tight tolerances, they were actually 'too' perfect! (Yes, there is such a thing!) They found the sweet-spot and apparently the tolerances are exactly where they need to be on the production runs.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

So this is how it breaks down... for me:

CarveTight - $120
    New carving and cutting bits - 80
    Collet - 19
    TOTAL - $219

- OR -

Rock kit - $149
    1/2 to 1/4 sleeve - 21
    TOTAL - $170

Realistically, the $50 isn't much of a difference. But with the requirement of the hard-pressed collars on any 1/4" carbide shank, that could be a limiting factor.

On the other hand, is the difference in the two chuck systems really THAT noticeable? If so, the possible limiting factors and the $50 difference could be negligible.

No real question here, just helps to write it out when attempting to come up with a decision.
    --
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    As I read the PDf, I see that the new bits will now come with the sleeve/collet "pressed on".

You will need at least one collet for the other 1/4" bits, and could use it on the Cutting & Carving bit (for, light, short duration work), if you want to take the chance of having to redo your project due to the bit loosing its position. I think most times it will move upward. However, if it "plunges" your $$ problems out weigh the savings.
    AskBud
    No, you cannot use the split collet for any run using the 100% carbide Carving and Cutting bits - light, short or otherwise! I hope I made that clear in the article (if I recall I typed it in ALL CAPS).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Default Collet

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    No, you cannot use the split collet for any run using the 100% carbide Carving and Cutting bits - light, short or otherwise! I hope I made that clear in the article (if I recall I typed it in ALL CAPS).
    Point taken! Now it's BOLD.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Point taken! Now it's BOLD.
    AskBud
    Thanks! I'm afraid somewhere, sometime, someday, SOMEONE is going to try that and have a really bad day! The boldness you added may help prevent some of that!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hmm,

Some of the rock user have a lot of hrs running this combo without any probs unless MT is some sort of machinist wizard like Ron J in the industry this is just second hand info. however the warning is taken.

I have the .50" bore Rock so the next bit i will try will be the sleeves. eventually i like to try the new spindle 2

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-24-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Hmm,

Some of the rock user have a lot of hrs running this combo without any probs.
    unless MT is some sort of machinist wizard like Ron J in the industry this is just second hand info, however the warning is taken.

LG
    I don't think I'm a wizard at anything, much less machining! Yep, bit slip verified by Carvewright engineers and by me based on the large number of calls I receive from 'certain chuck' users who have z-errors much more frequently than even any QC owner I've ever known!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast