Thread: "Close Cover", but it's not open!?

1. Unhappy "Close Cover", but it's not open!?

The display reads "Close Cover". Electrical test on switch OK, bypassing switch didn't change anything. Obviously, the machine won't run if it thinks that the cover is open. Any suggestions?

Likely that the switch is too far back, and the cover isn't tripping the micro. Firmly tap on the cover directly over the switch with your fingers, and see if that clears your problem. You can loosen the two screws that hold the switch, and make sure it's as far forward as possible - that should take care of your problem.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Using Options and Sensor Data monitor the open cover. Use something sharp and thin to manually push the switch in and see if the status changes.

Blow Air in the switch to dislodge dust.

Make sure the plug is pushed in the whole way and white wire toward the cut motor.

Does the Z encoder data read OK? A pinched board detector can cause the Z to not move, board data to read 0 and a open cover error.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have the same problem. It happened yesterday. First my board sensor went out and I had to replace it and now this little switch. Needless to say I'm a little frustrated but I look at this as ironing out the wrinkles.

I took the switch out and manually pressed it in my my fingers while monitoring the sensor display. I think the switch is busted. Even doing that it was barely flickering back and forth between open/close. I'm going to see if Radio Shack has a comparable replacement. I may have to mount a flip switch on top or something.

The switches usually go bad by being contaminated with sawdust. When you clean up your machine it is important to vacuum out as much sawdust as possible before any cleaning with LOW PRESSURE air. If you try to blow out a machine full of sawdust with high pressure air you will only blow it into every nook and cranny, including the switches.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    The switches usually go bad by being contaminated with sawdust. When you clean up your machine it is important to vacuum out as much sawdust as possible before any cleaning with LOW PRESSURE air. If you try to blow out a machine full of sawdust with high pressure air you will only blow it into every nook and cranny, including the switches.
    Good advice..not to mention the first time you try to blow out a machine full of sawdust - it will be the last time you do it. Nothing like a huge dust cloud settling over everything in the shop and in your lungs...don't ask me how I know

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Good advice..not to mention the first time you try to blow out a machine full of sawdust - it will be the last time you do it. Nothing like a huge dust cloud settling over everything in the shop and in your lungs...don't ask me how I know

Craig
    LOL!!! Boy does it ever!!!

My trick to doing this (with low pressure air) is to have your dust collector running.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Smile close cover switch

Had the same problem
    Took the switch our and wired direct
    to see if the switch was faulty.
    It was. Replaced with a Radio Shack switch.
    Cheap and functional.
    Hope this helps.

You can plug the cover switch plug in 180 out. White wire toward the cut motor.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    The switches usually go bad by being contaminated with sawdust.
    The wires that go to the switch come through a hole in an air-duct that has fine dust in it. The air is directed through the hole where the wires are run and directly into the area where the switch is. Very poor design, there could have been some attempt to block the air stream through the hole for the wiring or a separate chase for the wires. Maybe in the next machine!

A note for those that take the switch apart to clean it, get some smaller fingers first. Yes, the spring and contact can be reinstalled after knocking it apart - don't ask.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi