Thread: Request for Michael T

Default Request for Michael T

Michael,
    I purchased some more select pine and went home to carve a Wilderness Shelf project (Still awesome BTW), When I was measuring the board I found that the mills are cutting smaller. A 1 X 12 is actually 11 1/16" now. You accounted for them shorting the 11 1/4", looks like you might have to do it again.. Hopefully it is just the boards I bought from Lowes!

Keep up the GREAT work! I just got 5 more patterns from your site.. Great work!

Thanks..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Unfortunately I run in to that problem ALOT. Home Depot and Lowes never have actual 12" boards. Might not be a bad idea and seeing if Mike can start making POMs for 11" width boards (that would cover a majority). I know a person can just try and size a project down, but just seems that if that it might be easier to create POMs for the size of the 11" boards that are sold in these 2 places where many people purchase their material from. hint hint
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I've seen this for quite some time now...and have a workable solution...

I have a 1/4" x 3/4" x 2' sliver of pine that I add to the guide plate side of the wood while it'e being measured...After the width is measured and it starts the length, the machine pushes it out onto the outfeed table for easy removal!

Another solution is to mount the board on a sled, which will save you an extra seven inches on each carve...there are several posts for sled designs here and they work great!
    Jim

Sleds are good but not a solution for all length, width or thickness combination's. I would end up having several sleds for different things and would rather deal with 7 inches of loss. I need fireplace pieces or smaller pieces for turning pens anyway.

1 X 12 used to be 3/4" thick X 11-1/4" wide. Michael factored this in and set the board width to 11.203" if I remember correctly. Now that my old stock is dwindling away I am finding more 1X12'a are 3/4 X 11-1/16. 11" projects would be better overall in my humble opinion BUT you know what they say about opinions!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

While we are on the subject of sleds; I was using the old hot glue a 4" piece on the ends trick because I was using relatively expensive wood. One piece did not track on the roller. I taped 2 1" wide pieces of 1/4" plywood both bottom corners. They were longer than the piece I was carving, but he doesn't find the ends with the roller, he does that with his little eye. He only tracks how far the board moves with the roller. That was my understanding any way, and I guess I was correct, because it worked. The project was the burial urns by the way.
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    Michael,
    I purchased some more select pine and went home to carve a Wilderness Shelf project (Still awesome BTW), When I was measuring the board I found that the mills are cutting smaller. A 1 X 12 is actually 11 1/16" now. You accounted for them shorting the 11 1/4", looks like you might have to do it again.. Hopefully it is just the boards I bought from Lowes!

Keep up the GREAT work! I just got 5 more patterns from your site.. Great work!

Thanks..
    Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for letting us know the boards are still shrinking in some parts of the country! Funny, I just bought a couple 1x12's day before yesterday (from Lowes) and they are 11.3" wide, which is wider than they were the last time I bought some. (Select Pine 1x12's used to always be at least 11.3"wide).

You have a very good point about making any 1x12 layouts at the 11" width - that should take care of the variance. If the 1x12's get any narrower than 11", I think we need to picket the big box stores!

Thanks also for the pattern purchases - hope you enjoy them for many years to come!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Skyhawk - that's a neat trick you mentioned. I may have to try that myself sometime!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

It's not just the big box stores, all lumber yards are about the same.

The only time I get wider dimensions is if the moisture content is to high.

Shave an 1/8" off 200 million boards, at a couple bucks aboard foot, that equals....... roughly a bunch of money, if my math is correct.

Default board size

I've been changing the board size in the programs for quit some time. Michael has left room on the outside of just about all mpc's that it can be done. From the sleigh on. Not just to get it in to the called for board size but also to get a better use of board use as well. Even though I may change the board size or move ptn's around I all was save the original mpc and then save my changed mpc as a modifacation such as "sleigh sides 1a"
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Default board size

Another reason I change the board size is for the reason of the called for board size my be just right for the called for board but yet do to surfacing at the mill, the corners are rounded and at times during the cutting times I've had a board ride up on the edge just to get an error. So again I change the board size and I run the board through the jointer one time so the board tracks better.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz