Thread: I should know better but I will ask anyway.

Default I should know better but I will ask anyway.

I want to carve something onto an existing object. As into the top of a Treasure Chest I made for my oldest daughter.

The top portion is about 4 inches high with the top board that I want to carve into is approximately 3/8 inch thick.

I have forgotton how deep Centerline text carves! I want to use a 90 AND a 60 degree bit. I will add a inlay of a carved draggon that is carved heigher than the top surface of the chest.

Yes, I could just apply a added board to the inside for safety sake, for the text, BUT the top has a hidden storage tray that slides out from one side. (You have to remove a sliding dovetail that is part of the trim...)

NO, I do not want to try and fit a new top for the chest.

I guess I could just carve the text into scrap wood and see how deep it carves but I feel lazy in Spring time....

I am thinking that I should just do inlays for all the carvings but I thought I would ask anyway....

Will

I'm a little confused as to where your carve will go, but I do know this -

If your Designer board is the same size as the length and width of the top of the chest, and you create the design exactly how you want it to look on the chest, hover your mouse over the deepest part of a letter, and at the bottom left of the screen, you will see how deep it will carve.

Same goes for any part of the carve.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

It depends on the size of the letters. I'd carve 'em in scrap and measure....

Quote Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
    It depends on the size of the letters.
    It does, but my point is that if you set the letters the size you want them to be in Designer, it will tell you how deep they're going to carve.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Jerry.. Thank you..

Great point about the depth of text. I have never noticed that depth was displayed right in front of my eyes. I guess I need to be more observant.