Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: check cut motor

mikehumphrey Guest

Default check cut motor

I am getting "check cut motor" message....I have bench tested motor,have voltage at motor leads, door switch is O.K., RPM sensor counts when I rotate chuck, I have checked the brushes and cleaned the motor and all electrical connections......I also have just replaced the ac motor control electronics board (per Carvewright printed instruction) which previous one failed (with a loud pop) when I inserted my card after recent upgrade. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, but thought it might be important to provide sequence of events.

Thanks,
    Mike.

Similar experience with my CW every time I'm doing a Vector cut or Centerline lettering. I've just come to accept that the message will come up about 10% into the carve. I press Enter and it continues without further interruption. Frustrating but not fatal so I accept it as a machine/software error without harm.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I get the exact same thing as Capt. Bruce when doing centerline text and it finishes up ok by just pressing continue (enter). Must be a software glich. I'm running 1.153

CJ

I was getting check cut motor when doing centerline lettering and found the screw that holds the flexshaft had loosened up and I think the shaft may have been twinsting. Tightened the screw and the error went away. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for that tip Gumbo. Going down to the shop now to check for that possible fault. Thanks again.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

6. Default

Hi I am getting the same message Check Cut Motor... I bought a used machine and I guess its been sitting around with oil. I did clean and oil as much as I could however, just after I start a project I get the error message. I dont want to sound dumb... but... What screw did you tighten to fix your problem? I dont see a screw!

This is a really old thread. It would help if we knew exactly when you were getting the message. Is it for every project, or just those with centerline text?

There is a small set screw that holds in the flex shaft at the motor. Just above where the keyed end of the shaft locks in. That could be what they were referring to.

I get the check cut motor message EVERY time I do a cutout (and only then). What I find is the motor really ramps up to super speed just before or a few seconds into a cut. I think there is an issue with a message being sent to the motor or the speed sensor, but it is so common on the message boards we all just hit continue and haven't gotten an answer from LHR as to the cause.

The check cut motor message means that the motor did not attain a specific (high) rpm in a short allotted time. This can be as simple as the machine is on a extension cord, or on a circuit with other loads. It could also mean the motor itself has problems.

Most of us just press continue and that is that. (The message can only occur once per reboot.)

And speaking of the motor... It would be a good idea to inspect the 2 cut motor brushes. If the brush gets too short the cut motor can stall and snap a bit.... Much cheaper to replace the cut motor brushes every 250 cut hours... And at the same time replace the 2 inner Y Bearings. Every 250 and your machine will run much better.

When the Y bearings fail they grind down the shaft of the big gear.

We have found that doing Preventive Maintenance and cleaning every 250 is a good thing....

Order a FFC Cable when you order brushes.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06139.JPG   DSC01461_WEB.jpg   DSC01471_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg  

DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I get this as well. I asked about this at the Conference this year. I was told that the magnets on the motors often work themselves loose, and this can cause the symptom. The magnet mounting has been redisigned on the new cut motors, and I was advised to replace mine, as the new motors are also quieter. I do plan to do this in the near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast