Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: check cut motor

Yes, the old magnet had a nasty habit of popping off.... If you go to Sensor Data and call up the cut motor then turn the chuck the magnet will count 0000 0001 0002 0003... IF working.... If not.... 0000 forever....

The new retainer solved that problem in 2007....

Even with my working magnet I get the check cut motor or CCM in the beginning of almost every project.... I use the break in the action to start the dust collector... IF you reboot the machine you get it... IF you did the same project a 2nd time with new wood and did NOT turn off the Power and reboot you will NOT get the CCM...

Lots posted on this including a few comments from #1 at LHR.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06248_WEB.jpg   DSC06243_WEB.jpg   DSC06250_WEB.jpg   DSC06251_WEB.jpg  

DSC06254_WEB.jpg   DSC06268_WEB.jpg   DSC06458_WEB.jpg   DSC06456_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-29-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have one of the new cut motors, bought in Sept I think. Much quieter (well, lower pitch whine), but still have the CCM error.

We have discussed this on the beta forum. The users (some beta testers) think the test is too sensitive whereas the LHR end thinks it indicates something is wrong. If a new motor gives the error, it must be something like low line voltage.

It should be noted that the motor test is done for each project even though the error message will only be displayed once. Whenever the speed test fails, (reported or not) the variable speed control is disabled for that project. My point here is that there is a consequence to failing the speed test and after pressing continue a few times, one should consider that something may not be quite right.

I have just replaced my extension cord with a short, beefy one. I am hoping that fixes my system.

While reading through this thread, while looking for a reason why they have the cut motor designed to suck air from in front of the rear roller, then blow some of it back into the machine...

I noticed that some one mentioned about oiling the motor... don't do it. The bearings are sealed... in order to oil them, you need to take the seals off. And if you are going to to that, you might as well clean them while you are at it. Just be careful not to lose the ball bearings when you take them apart or rip the seals. If you look for "cleaning skateboard bearings" on you tube, it will show you how to clean them.

However unless you have a real super dirty (dirt not wood dust) shop, I would just leave them alone.

If you want to test the bearings...

test by popping off one side of the motor cover leaving armature and field in other half of case, hold the brush down with a piece of plastic or take the brush out first, then turn slowly by hand, if motor armature moves smooth without feeling like it is catching on something... leave them alone. If it feels like it has dirt in there then try and clean the bearings, but more than likely, once they start to feel bad, they are beyond cleaning. Also check for end play by wiggling the armature and see if there is play in the bearings, those bearings aren't designed for side thrust, but you can get an idea if they are getting worn out, if the bearing centers move side to side more than a hair.

You can also check by pulling the armature totally out, but I like to check mine sitting where it will be running from, so you can see if there are any other issues.

I cannot recall anyone having the bearings go in the cut motor.

I can report that after switching my 15 ft extension cord to a 12 gauge (rated 15 amp), I seem to have eliminated the check cut motor warning.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I cannot recall anyone having the bearings go in the cut motor.

I can report that after switching my 15 ft extension cord to a 12 gauge (rated 15 amp), I seem to have eliminated the check cut motor warning.

Dan, I have both of my machines on dedicated 20 amp circuits with 12 gauge wiring and they both give me the check cut motor error when doing vector and/or text.
    It usually happens within the first couple of minutes, I just hit enter and continue.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    Dan, I have both of my machines on dedicated 20 amp circuits with 12 gauge wiring and they both give me the check cut motor error when doing vector and/or text.
    It usually happens within the first couple of minutes, I just hit enter and continue.

Mike
    I have the same here why don't know
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I have had a bearing go. On the side that connects to the flex. Go might be a harsh word. It still spun cleanly. Just tight.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

If anyone could wear out a cut motor bearing, it would be you! How many hours on that motor?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    We have discussed this on the beta forum. The users (some beta testers) think the test is too sensitive whereas the LHR end thinks it indicates something is wrong. If a new motor gives the error, it must be something like low line voltage.
    I just installed a new cut motor (the case on the old one cracked) and have only done four test projects with it, but at least three times I have gotten the CCM error. It's been the norm to have the error on over 50% of the projects. It doesn't seem to a be a issue, just a nuisance.

I live in the city, my electrical panel is less than 150 feet from the transformer on the street, and my CW is plugged into a standard (non-GFI) 20A outlet at the panel. My line voltage at the panel typically reads 119-121 volts. I can't imagine low line voltage is a factor, unless it was machine-based. Meaning, the CW power cord/power switch/other line power wiring itself is undersized and can't supply the current on motor start-up, dropping voltage. The power cord is only 18 Ga after all. But it seems if that was the case, most everyone would be having issues. I have had issues with my power switch connections and likely will solder those at some point.

I'm not generally paying attention when the error occurs, but a few times it seemed like it occured as the bit was about to hit the board or just as it touched the board and was already up to a 'decent' RPM. It seemed to me the sensor circuit was expecting either a load on the motor or a reduction in RPM it wasn't seeing, but not knowing what factor(s) actually trigger the error I really could not be sure.

It seems to me LHR could test the low voltage theory just by running the CW off a variac.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast