Thread: Carving on a curved surface

1. Default Carving on a curved surface

I want to carve on a curved surface, radius 1.5 inches. Can this be done to follow the contour (radius)?

Thumbs up

Hi George,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

I haven't tried it myself yet but, I have seen posts talking about it, and making a jig sled to carve on a Base Ball Bat,
    A Forum search ("Bat") like this one might give you the info you need.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...t=baseball+bat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carving on a Curved Surface 1 a.jpg   Carving on a Curved Surface 2a.jpg   Carving on a Curved Surface 3a.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-08-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

I carve guitar bodies on an radius, but on a much larger radius. The carvings do follow the radius if set up correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skullsample.jpg   skullsampleside.jpg  
    Mark
    www.pineacreswoodshop.com
    Home of Thorpe Custom Acoustic Guitars and Baddass Electrics

4. Default

Nothing I've done yet however, if you can get a radius close to that of the item you are carving then apply a pattern or text and set the merge style to additive. Making sure to leave the depth of the radius shallower then the actual surface being carved so the bit does not take off additional material. Select a dept of the merged carving to compensate for the difference. At that point to save the machine carving air, i would copy and expand the carving, outline then delete the copied carving and play around with clip carving to limit the area carved with that outline. In my mind it should work. But then again in my mind.... forget it you don't wanna know what else is in there.

Good Luck
    MH

5. Default Carving on a curved surface

Thank you all for your replies. I will give it a try. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. I am attempting to carve a figure, (no lettering) and over the complete, or almost complete, semi circle
    George