Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Starting on some end table carvings

Mike,

You certainly have a natural ability to see and implement the "foreshortening" of perspective in your carvings That's usually the most challenging part of creating a relief pattern that will carve well and still look like it has the proper perspective/depth. You have that down to a "T"!

Say, I've been thinking about getting a power carver of some type (in addition to my 'standard' Dremels). I've already talked to OldCop (Bernie) a little bit about his particular setup, but am interested in your feedback too.

I know you have several rotary tools, but which tool do you use with the compressor? Is the brand-name "Turbo Carve"? As long as I'm at it, what brand/model compressor do you use? (when it's working, that is!). I do have a 1HP 30 gal. shop compressor (piston/noisy-type), but was thinking about a pan compressor or whatever might be more suitable for an air-driven power carve setup. What are your recommendations, if you don't mind?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael,

If you get in to the High Speed Carving tool you will love it.

The one I have had for 16 years or more. I used it when I did gun stock carving. It is the one that 400,000 RPM's

I have one that turns 400,000 RPM and the other one 150,000 RPM'S
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Mike, Michael,

You certainly have a natural ability to see and implement the "foreshortening" of perspective in your carvings That's usually the most challenging part of creating a relief pattern that will carve well and still look like it has the proper perspective/depth. You have that down to a "T"!
    I'm not 100% sure on that but Thank you.

Say, I've been thinking about getting a power carver of some type (in addition to my 'standard' Dremels). I've already talked to OldCop (Bernie) a little bit about his particular setup, but am interested in your feedback too.

I know you have several rotary tools, but which tool do you use with the compressor? Is the brand-name "Turbo Carve"?
    Turbo Carver, http://www.turbocarver.com/

As long as I'm at it, what brand/model compressor do you use? (when it's working, that is!).
    I've got a Campbell Hausfield in the woodshop, Not sure I'd recommend this brand. At least it hasn't worked out well for me. I bought this one in 2000, replaced the pump in 2002 and it fried again. I think this particular pump had a design flaw, it pumps the oil out of the pump and into the tank. I did find out this pump is no longer available, they have a replacement pump but I think I'm going to get the same pump I have on the Ingersol * to replace it, it seems quieter slightly higher CFM (.7 more) and I've had great luck with it (I haven't changed the oil in it since 1987. I've added a very small amount to it over the years but it also has a sight glass for viewing the oil level and color).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	42746 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air04.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	42747
    * I've got an Ingersol Rand in my Bshop that hasn't had a problem since I got it in 1987 and has been used a lot harder (they are both single stage rated at about the same (11 CFM@90psi, 60 gallon) and both cost around $500.

I do have a 1HP 30 gal. shop compressor (piston/noisy-type), but was thinking about a pan compressor or whatever might be more suitable for an air-driven power carve setup. What are your recommendations, if you don't mind?
    The Turbo-Carver draws less than 2cfm so almost any compressor should run it okay. I use a a couple air regulators/filters on mine, one just for the turbo carver so I never put more than 40 psi to it. Turbo-Carver sells some air compressors too but for what they get for them I'd rather buy a larger air compressor so I can use it for other things too, air-nailers, staplers, blow gun, air-die grinders, air orbital sanders etc......

Thanks ~Mike
    If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

Default Little progress

Made a small amount of progress this weekend, not much.

Name:	Cowboys01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	42835

In my own defense, my son and I decided to finish a project I started 10 years ago, he said it kind of bums him out seeing it in here all the time and I was getting a bit tired of working around it.

Name:	Rocker00.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	42836
    This is where I was at with the rocker 10 years ago (above), I thought we might be having a grandchild. We later found out our daughter-in-law couldn't have children (guess the wife and I should have had more than one kid).

Name:	Horse02.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	42837
    I ripped and plained down a bunch of wood for this, son has been stopping up after work and tracing and cutting out the pieces. Took me two days to shape and sand the pieces for just one side of the tail. Another project that will take me forever to complete.

Name:	Horse01.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	42838
    10 years ago I saw this same rocker at the place I get most of my wood from. The owner had made it. One day I went in to get some wood and his rocker was gone, I asked him what had happened to it and he told me some guy had come in and offered him $4,000.00 for it, said he to let it go for that.

I told son when we finish it I'd take it to the wood place and see if it sells, told him I'd split whatever we get for it. I don't really expect to get that much for it, but you never know.

What do you think?

Thanks ~Mike
    Last edited by autobodyman; 03-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

Mike... a person has to have a few back-up projects on hand at all times. But I'm with your son....finish the horse. The horse is one tremendous project that would look good in any home....grandchildren or not. I wouldn't be surprised if your son would proudly display it in his home....especially since the two of you are working together creating such a master piece.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910