Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting on some end table carvings

Default Starting on some end table carvings

I decided to get started on the end tables I've been planning on building for a few years. They are going to be similar to the nightstand I built a few years ago.

Night stand top carving from 2007

I had the wife take some pictures of me from behind on a fence, printed them out then traced them, scanned the tracing into the computer and made the pattern below. The board is 8¼" tall and 20" wide.
    My plan at this point is to carve the back out of ¾" thick stock then take some more pics to get the front drawn out and carve the front, glue the two halves together. (I'll probably scan the two halves before glueing up) This will then be glued down on top of a rodeo carving for the background (haven't started that yet, it will be 20" wide and 26" tall, I have some patterns I got from the pattern depot that I'll likely have the machine carve). That's why I nailed two ¾" pieces together. The holes drilled, now I can start cutting it out on the scrollsaw.

Cutting out on the scrollsaw.

Finally got it cut out, hard to believe I have 3 days in this so far (taking pictures, creating the pattern and cutting it out).

Next is to start carving, I'm sure that will take me quite a few days as well (by hand). This will be for end table number 1, the second end table is still just in my head.
    My thought on that one is kind of an old type saloon inside. Stage in the background with a dance hall girl on the stage, 3 round poker tables with guys playing poker, some serving girls, a bar on the right side with a couple guys sitting on bar stools, the bar keep and a mirror and shelf behind the bar keep with bottles on shelves. I expect it will be some time before I get started on the second one.

What do you think?

Thanks ~Mike
    If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

I think your work, design, and creativity far surpass what I could ever imagine... great design.. you have just taught me some great stuff and I don't know if you intended to do that.. but thanks none-the-less!@

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by autobodyman View Post
    I decided to get started on the end tables I've been planning on building for a few years. They are going to be similar to the nightstand I built a few years ago.

Night stand top carving from 2007

I had the wife take some pictures of me from behind on a fence, printed them out then traced them, scanned the tracing into the computer and made the pattern below. The board is 8¼" tall and 20" wide.
    My plan at this point is to carve the back out of ¾" thick stock then take some more pics to get the front drawn out and carve the front, glue the two halves together. (I'll probably scan the two halves before glueing up) This will then be glued down on top of a rodeo carving for the background (haven't started that yet, it will be 20" wide and 26" tall, I have some patterns I got from the pattern depot that I'll likely have the machine carve). That's why I nailed two ¾" pieces together. The holes drilled, now I can start cutting it out on the scrollsaw.

Cutting out on the scrollsaw.

Finally got it cut out, hard to believe I have 3 days in this so far (taking pictures, creating the pattern and cutting it out).

Next is to start carving, I'm sure that will take me quite a few days as well (by hand). This will be for end table number 1, the second end table is still just in my head.
    My thought on that one is kind of an old type saloon inside. Stage in the background with a dance hall girl on the stage, 3 round poker tables with guys playing poker, some serving girls, a bar on the right side with a couple guys sitting on bar stools, the bar keep and a mirror and shelf behind the bar keep with bottles on shelves. I expect it will be some time before I get started on the second one.

What do you think?

Thanks ~Mike
    Your pics still have me puzzled. Now for the first time on this machine I can actually see the first picture, but I can't see any of the other ones (except the x) and even when I right click and have it "show picture" it still doesn't do it. Now, I'm running windows 7 (64bit) on this machine. However, I CAN see the pics on my laptop that is also runnining Windows7 (32 bit). I wonder if it's because of 64 -vs- 32bit. If so, does anyone know how I can fix this? I sure do like looking at all the stuff that you make Autobodyman. It's is definately "Greatness" !
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Jerry, it might be that your getting interference from an antivirus program... I've had this problem in the past with Kaspersky... I just turn it off for that time being though you have to be sure you trust the site.

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

Once again WOW! I can't wait to see how these turn out. It boggles my mind with what might be next. I will stay tuned "for the next episode."

Smile

Again, I'm in awe of your awesome work. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

7. Default

Autobodyman Your nightstand is awesome. I’m sure the end tables will be as well. I admire your abilities’ and tenacity, I couldn’t possibly undertake such a task, to impatient.
    Jerry I had a problem similar to yours and ended up having to download the latest video drivers from Nvidia. Running windows 7 64 bit.

Hi Mike,

That is going to be outstanding!! What great talent, skill and imagination! We're all looking forward to watching your progress on this wonderful project!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thumbs up

Very cool..

LG

cool beans!

I'll be watching to see how it all truns out.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast