Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit adapter bb's

Default Bit adapter bb's

Here's the deal. I just purchased a new carving bit from Amazon. I started a 2 hour project - it finished successfully, but the bit was lose in the chuck. It was quite stuck though. The chuck would not go up. After playing with it for quite some time, I was able to get the bit out. After I got it out, the bit adapter had several bb's marks around it.

The chuck was dirty, so I cleaned it out pretty good with WD-40. Let it snap back into place several times, etc. Once I thought it was pretty clean, I tried to put the bit back in and the chuck just didn't want to drop back into place - took quite a while, but I got it.

Started another project (about 4 hours - double sided). Half way through it, I inspected the bit and it was very lose again. After much trial, I was able to pull the bit out again and it had twice as many bb marks in it. Sprayed another half can of WD-40 into the chuck, cleaned it out as much as possible and put a cutting bit back in just to see how tight it was - it was also lose. Every bit I have tried in the chuck was lose. Some have never been used.

It's carving the other side, but it's noticeably noisier. The bit just isn't sitting in the chuck tight.

I know the dirt can cause the chuck to not move up and down correctly, but once it's down, shouldn't the bits be tight (whether they have bb marks or not)?
    --
    John

This seems to be a common problem. I replaced 4 bit adapters in 3 months, then I got the rock chuck from rjustice. No more problems, a more vibration, cooler shaft, and a lot less noise. Not to mention the carves are so much better. Search for rock chuck and as soon as you can afford it buy one. With the rate you are destroying bit adapters, it will pay for itself in about a year.

Link to the rock chuck
    http://www.cw-parts.com/
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks for the nudge... but I have been to Ron's web page several times. I would like to buy the kit, but can't justify it yet.

If there is a problem with the QC, I'll call them and get a new one (still under warranty).
    --
    John

John,

What is happing is the inside of the outside wings of the QC have worn and gotten BIGGER. Now when you install a new bit holder, the bit will feel TIGHT.... As soon as you start the carve your bit holder will start flopping around inside the QC at what ever the Shaft RPM is... This mini JACK HAMMER.... Caused the 3 tips of the hardened BB's of the QC to JACK HAMMER into the Bit Holder.

It is a viscous cycle..... Put a bad bit holder with BB Marks inside a NEW QC and it will JACK HAMMER it into submission in as little as 1 project....

My advice is that when ever you get BB Marks you need to REPLACE the QC and ALL BIT HOLDERS.... Trust me.... Reusing that bad bit holder will destroy the QC.... With ALL NEW QC and BIT HOLDERS you will get much longer life out of the QC and Bit Holders....

OR... You can buy a ROCK.... and end the madness....

Your call to LHR will result in finding that the QC is not covered by Warranty.... It is a "Consumable"..... Don't forget to order Bit Holders TOO..... Take this opportunity to order Sand Paper Belts as they are "Consumable" too... You save on Shipping this way.... And Cut motor brushed for that 250 Hour Cut Motor Hours Replacement.... If the motor stalls due to short brushes and the motion continues.... You can hear that $40.00 Cut Path bit SNAP all the way in Texas.... It's called "Preventive Maintenance".... $5.00 brushes or $5.00 Brushes plus a $40.00 Bit....

How many QC's and Bit Holders can you buy for one Rock?

O'... And use masking tape on the bottom of the board... It won't help the QC but it will help project quality and my Stock....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-24-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al! You're trying to ruin my day!

I have less than 70 hours on the machine. I can understand some things breaking when they shouldn't every once in a while, but the QC couldn't possibly be 'consumed' already!
    --
    John

AL I wish someone had explained the BB indentation as well as you did just now. It would have saved me $40+ in bit holders and postage.
    I wised up and got the rock.
    It did not take me long to realize the errors of my ways in not purchasing the rock

Thanks for this great post.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

John,

This is WHY..... We "Worship RJustice".... His Rock Design has ENDED the CYCLE of QC Abuse....

If you search my posts from a few months ago when Ron came out with the ROCK.... I listed all the things that the ROCK fixed in one big scoop....

Vibration.... Vibration is the route of all EVIL with Electronic Equipment.... The Vibration caused the:

Board Sensor problems with broken LED's

Broken Solder Joints on the Z Encoder

Broken L2 Coil on the Power Supply

Broken C1 Capacitor on the X Termination Board.

Cover Switch Problems

Also the ROCK has Less Vibration and hence LESS NOISE.....

No more High Frequency Vibration.....

Better to get the SHOCK out of your system tonight rather than say bad things to the LHR person.... How would you like to answer the phone at work and know someone might YELL at you due to company policy....

"Hey... I just work here....."
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Oh, I know. I don't plan on giving anyone a hard time. I have read a LOT about RJ's ROCK. I know it sounds like the bees knees. I just hope I can convince the wife

Thanks for the education on the BB's though!
    --
    John

Al

Don't forget the truck bearings , Thats what did me in , could not afford the rock so a local machine shop owed me some favors so i cashed them in and made my own.

Michael

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it .
    Michael
    WA8MCI

Default loose QC

Hello John
    I had the same problem with my QC. I can't tell you how many
    QC's that I replaced at least 10. Lhr warranty most of them at the time but that might have changed by now. A friend and myself made a chuck on his lathe. This was before I knew any thing about Ron's ROCK. Sence I have changed the chuck I have had very little trouble. I have posted pictures of the chuck that we made. If you can't find them I will try posting them again if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast