Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Book Rest - Project of the Month

Default Antique Book Rest - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Antique Book Rest". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This project features a unique antique- style Book Rest with an adjustable pull-out shelf to accommodate a variety of book sizes. A book rest is often used for holding cookbooks conveniently open while the cook is working in the kitchen, but it is also great when used as a decorative accessory piece for displaying an open Bible, an antique book, or even a small painting!

The finished, assembled book rest/holder (opened) is about 13"W x 11" D x 8”H . The shelf is removable and the backboard easel assembly folds together for compact storage and/or for shipping.

The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Backboard.mpc
    • Shelf_Easel_Strips.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Backboard: .75" x 11.125" x 20" (one)
    Shelf, Easel, Strips: .75" x 9" x 26" (one)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Hinge for easel (¾" x 4" piano-style)
    (I used Brainerd hinge # 1264XC from
    www.hardwareworld.com)

4) Self-stick felt from any arts & crafts store
    (I purchased felt from Michael’s Arts & Crafts)

5) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Antique Book Rest made from Select Pine wood:

1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
    2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
    3) Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
    4) one coat Bullseye Amber shellac
    5) two light coats of Krylon spray clear acrylic
    6) two coats Minwax water-based Satin Polycrylic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antique_Book_Rest_view_600x470.jpg   Antique_Book_Rest_w_cookbook_600x490.jpg   Antique_Book_Rest_SIDE_view_plain_600x566.jpg   Antique_Book_Rest_on_end_Table_600x450.jpg  

Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

2. Default Nice.....

I can think of a few cooks in my family that will have to have one of those.
    Last edited by LittleRedWoodshop; 03-21-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Damn you Michael!!!! My gf happens to be a Librarian and caught a glimps of that over my shoulder. I guess I know what i'll be doing next month instead of getting the bike ready to roll!

Howerver... another great looking project. The POM is worth every penny in my opinion

Doug Fletcher

Thumbs up Another great one

Michael
    Another great one. My wife can't wait she works at the church and they display a bible at the entrance. Assembly instructions to follow soon I hope.
    Can't Wait
    JIM

Thanks, Jason! Hope you have fun with the project!

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Damn you Michael!!!! My gf happens to be a Librarian and caught a glimps of that over my shoulder. I guess I know what i'll be doing next month instead of getting the bike ready to roll!

Howerver... another great looking project. The POM is worth every penny in my opinion

Doug Fletcher
    Hi Doug,

Just teach your girlfriend how to run the CarveWright so you can focus on getting the bike ready! Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by MCGEE2SKINNER View Post
    Michael
    Another great one. My wife can't wait she works at the church and they display a bible at the entrance. Assembly instructions to follow soon I hope.
    Can't Wait
    JIM
    Hi Jim,

That will be really cool. Hope you can share a photo or two when it's all set up!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antique_Book_Rest_ANGLEview_cookbook_600x511.jpg   Antique_Book_Rest_another_on_end_Table_600x457.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-21-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

looks like a book stand suitable for a king!
    Very nice!

LG

Default book stand

Hi Micael, Boy ,I can,t wait to carve this one. Thank you..Capt Barry

That looks really cool, please let us know when it is availabe to purchase. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    That looks really cool, please let us know when it is availabe to purchase. Good job.
    Thanks again, everyone!

The POM's are usually available for download around the first of each month for the subscribers, so I imagine the email notifications for this one will be on or around April 1st.

A POM often appears in the CarveWright store for individual purchase around the same time, or a perhaps a few days after the initial subscriber notification goes out.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I like the adjustable rest - very clever, MT.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast