Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QC chuck good one or bad one,how will I know?

Default QC chuck good one or bad one,how will I know?

I'm still waiting for my new machine to arrive, so I have never ran one yet.

My question is: How do I know if my QC chuck is a good one or a bad one?

I have heard nothing but good about the Rock Chuck, but after buying the machine, probe, software,and reconfiguring my dust collector system, I really don't want to spend more money right now if I don't have to.

From all that I have read here it would seem some have had good luck with the stock QC chuck, I'm hoping I can join that little group. But I have no way of knowing if I'm hanging out with the cool kids or not.

I have a feeling I will probably order a Rock chuck at some point, but I was hoping to put it off if I can.

Could anyone offer me a few tell-tail signs that my Chuck is good or bad?

I have never seen a machine run, so I have nothing to compare mine against.

Thanks

Keep your QC clean (blow it out with compressed air), as well as the adapters (they tend to build up packed sawdust at the set screws), use a mirror to make sure the red lines match up when inserting the bit, if the bit has any play in it after inserting it, you've got it wrong.

When changing bits, and after finishing a carve, "snap" the adapter numerous times, until no more sawdust falls out of the QC.

Double check and make sure your adapters have blue locktite on the setscrews (you'll know if you take an allen wrench to the screw - if it won't budge with a LITTLE pressure, you're ok). If they aren't locked in, use BLUE locktite on them and reset them.

I've broken a couple cutting bits, one due to the set screws coming loose, the other with a much older version of the software.

Your adapter will show a little wear as you use it, what I mean is that the pretty blue/black finish will begin to wear off, and that's ok. If it starts to have dimples, or "BB" marks on it, the QC is trashed, and so is the adapter.

So far as I can tell, you'll either get a good QC, or a bad QC, or, in my opinion, most likely, a good QC that you don't care for.

I'm still on my original QC, but if it ever shells out, RJ will likely be the first to know.

Welcome to the madness
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I'm ok with my QC, just need to oil it once in awhile.

Hi spalted,
    Welcome to the group! Something else to consider when you evaluate the quality of your QC, is the amount of vibration you have. There are a lot of problems that can be avoided by reducing the vibration early on... If you check out the crank handle, it seems to be a good indicator of the amount of vibration you have. If you watch the video in my link below that shows the Rock Chuck in action, the video pans over to the crank. Notice how steady the ball is on the crank... Before I changed over to the Rock Chuck, the ball on my machine (and several others that i have changed out) shook pretty bad. Many shake so much that if the crank is left in the upward position when you stop cranking, the handle would fall down during carving. I have had this comment emailed to me many times. This vibration is caused by the imbalance, of the chuck, and the runout of the tool. The more the tool runs out of true center when it rotates, the more centrifugal force exerted, and the more vibration you have. This is hard on the spindle bearings as it applies more side load on them. The side load causes more friction, which causes heat, makes the flex shaft work harder, as well as the motor turning the flex shaft... The vibration is also hard on the micro switches on the cover, the power supply solder connections etc... severe vibration and electronics are generally not a good match..

I hope that you do have a good QC, but if you don't, i would sincerely appreciate your interest in the Rock Chuck System!

Happy Carving!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it.

Ron,
    Thanks for reminding me about the video. I have watched it. That is a perfect indicator.

I will probably order the Rock Chuck at some point. I really like the Eliminator chucks, and I'm sure I would like the Rock as well.

If I need to I will order it sooner, if I have vibration issues.

I had planned on measuring the run out of the stock chuck, but I still wouldn't know for sure if it was an acceptable amount.

Thanks again,now if I only had my machine.

There is also now another chuck available to replace the QC.I have been testing 1 for several months now.it is the Muscle Chuck from Derosa Engineering. John has several made up and anyone who is interested can contact me and I can give you his address and phone #.They are going for 99.00 require no special tools to change and have a new type of holding for the bit which does not gouge the adapters when tightened.
    3 Carvewrights, 1 Epilog Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by mark1945 View Post
    There is also now another chuck available to replace the QC.I have been testing 1 for several months now.it is the Muscle Chuck from Derosa Engineering. John has several made up and anyone who is interested can contact me and I can give you his address and phone #.They are going for 99.00 require no special tools to change and have a new type of holding for the bit which does not gouge the adapters when tightened.
    How about posting a picture?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it.

Ron,
    Thanks for reminding me about the video. I have watched it. That is a perfect indicator.

I will probably order the Rock Chuck at some point. I really like the Eliminator chucks, and I'm sure I would like the Rock as well.

If I need to I will order it sooner, if I have vibration issues.

I had planned on measuring the run out of the stock chuck, but I still wouldn't know for sure if it was an acceptable amount.

Thanks again,now if I only had my machine.

Did the Eliminator Chuck come out in a CW Version.... Last I knew they were not interested in putting up the money to make them unless they could have guaranteed sales....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Muscle Chuck

I will pop it off my machine tomorrow and get pic of it .No its not from Eliminator chuck.He still has not come up with anything.This 1 works almost the same way, just has an improved locking system it grips the entire bit does not have a wedge to just hold the bit on one side .I have 2 of the Eliminators on my oldest machines and this one is quieter and smoother than they are.
    3 Carvewrights, 1 Epilog Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Did the Eliminator Chuck come out in a CW Version.... Last I knew they were not interested in putting up the money to make them unless they could have guaranteed sales....

AL
    I had an eliminator chuck on a router table before I bought my shaper, and I liked it. Not on a CW

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast