Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: QC chuck good one or bad one,how will I know?

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thanks for the draft tip Ike, I was wondering if that may help.

I also need to learn to zoom in and inspect my designs before I upload them. I could see it was not going to work after I took a second closer look. 5 more minutes in designer would have saved me....... but I'm learning.

This is the first text carve I have done. I was also thinking I should change the height of the letters too. I carved them at .25 and 999 in a .25 deep carve region. A little draft and less height may be the hot ticket.
    Oh you reminded me! Set your height to 250 to 500, at 999 it is too high and thins the letters! You are correct!

Ike

Thanks for confirming my idea Ike.

One other note for anyone removing a Quick Chuck

I forgot to mention that when I removed my QC I did not need any heat. There was one thread landing that had about a 3/8" long tiny thread of a yellow thread locker in it.

The QC was very easy to remove. It was not loose, but it was not as tight as I thought it would be.

So before you put the heat to it, try just unscrewing your QC.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thanks for confirming my idea Ike.

One other note for anyone removing a Quick Chuck

I forgot to mention that when I removed my QC I did not need any heat. There was one thread landing that had about a 3/8" long tiny thread of a yellow thread locker in it.

The QC was very easy to remove. It was not loose, but it was not as tight as I thought it would be.

So before you put the heat to it, try just unscrewing your QC.
    Mine had very little thread lock as well and it was not loose but not too tight either just upgraded to the rock last week.

Quote Originally Posted by toocwhatisaw View Post
    Mine had very little thread lock as well and it was not loose but not too tight either just upgraded to the rock last week.
    Lol I broke my first square tool trying to pop mine off. I had to heat mine up very hot!

Ike

Hi Spalted...
    I am very happy that you were able to get your chuck off so easily. I would like to amend your recommendation though. There have been many that have tried to get the QC off without heat. Some get very lucky like you, but the majority break off the square tool trying to do so without heat. It is very frustrating to get your new chuck, and snap off the tool, and have to wait 2-3 days to get another.

So..... If you wish to try it like Spalted did, i would recommend getting a spare square tool with your order. It is the top item on the "Rock chuck items" page on my website. If you can get it off this is very good!... If not, you now have an idea of how much torque you can put on the square tool before breaking it off. If you use that "feel" and combine it with heat, it is quite likely you will be successfull the second time around...

Best regards and Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Very good point Ron,

I was confident I had a good feel for how much torque to apply to a tool the size of the square tool. But I completely agree that a little to much force could result in tears and swearing or both.....depending upon your personal preference in that type of situation.

Maybe I have more luck than skill,but either way I couldn't be happier with my new Rock Chuck.

Default Quick Change Chuck

For those that are still using QC Chucks, and need to put on a replacement QC.
    Viewing (the link below) the process of installing the QuickTight Chuck, will give you a viable method to better work on removing and placing the QC. By removing the Truck, you will be better able to apply your heat source, and use the wrench and square tool outside the machine.
    The video, at the bottom of the link, gives super views of the truck removal process.

just my opinion!
    AskBud
    http://www.carvewright.com/cms/carvetight
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Guess I was one of the lucky ones when I removed my old QC. I didn't have to use any heat but I did use a sharp blow using a dead blow hammer one time and it broke loose. Was tight unscrewing it and took a while getting the locktight out of the threads using an awl (very pointed scriber) but once it was finished the new Rock Chuck was a piece of cake putting on and using it. Just my opinion, I think the rock would be much easier to install but then again if you are still under warrenty you may want to consider that too.

CJ

Default You must be kidding !

I hardly post but have ben using the machine for 3 years. When I read this from the owner, it made my blood boil:

"It is not possible to hold a carbide bit in a split collet or with a paw chuck system without slip at some point. We don't say it will happen every time, but even if it only slips once in 1000 hrs, it is too many times for us. There is a choice among our consumers and we appreciate that, but we stand behind our statements."

Slips once in 1000 hrs is too much! How about the piece of crap quick change that comes with the machine that fails/ locks up every other time you use it! You must be kidding! If once in 1000 hours is too much, what took so long in coming up with a replacment for that joke of a chuck!?

I replaced the QC (after 2 other units of the same) with the Rock Chuck AND I use solid carbide bits ALL THE TIME. I'm not sure of who this other chuck company is that CW does not like but for those of you reading this- use the Rock Chuck! It is flawless! The new CW chuck may be good too but this kind of BS infuriates me to the point of not wanting to use it.

End of rant. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    John

Hehe. Up until 3 days ago I really thought I had one of the good QC's. During a routine cleaning I performed the recommended snapping up and down of the QC and it fell apart on me. Ball bearings went down into the machine and I just sat there staring at it and said a few choice words. I think it was a bad design that required the type of cleaning that would realistically need it to be removed from the machine every few carves and soaked in a cleaning solution.

I think the only one you may offend is the people that created
    the flawed design and let a third party feel the need to come in and offer the type of chuck they should have designed to start with. I think the whole slippage argument is really pointless and a bit of an effort to justify buying their "late to the party" fix. Great machine and software though so now that my Rock chuck is on it's way Im looking forward
    to enjoying the machine more and cleaning out that damn POS chuck less.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456