Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Assistance Please

Very Nice work Capt Bruce!

Thanks for sharing the whole project with us. I really like the flag detail in your original carving. It looks like the scan picked up that detail very nicely as well....

Happy Carving!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default using bit optimazation

set at optimum might help with the flag poles but you may have allready done that.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Thanks Doug, Ron and Tim,

I appreciate your kind words. I thought about using optimum but that would have been an 8 1/2 hour carve instead of 3 1/2 and I wanted to see what the surface quality would be with fairly raw data before I begin cleaning up and tweaking the pattern. The Rock Chuck proves itself a winner again. Thanks again for walking along beside me.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default i was talking about bit optimazation

set at the highest. it wont make the carve longer. only do it after you have everything designed and are done cause it will slow the computor down some. as far as carving setting at optimum it is unreal no sanding hardly at all. i dont carve anything anymore on anything less than optimum unless its like yours a test just to see. i like it. it should sell too.

Simply beautiful!! I'm glad you worked out the sled design. I have done the same thing for a long time.

I can fit 14.75 in my CW. Don't know if that's normal but it's always been. So I have a 14.5 sled and use the blades from two 4 foot T-squares (1/4 thick) as the rails.

But I'm most impressed with your "hand carving" sir!! The CW only copied YOUR fine work. VERY NICE!!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Default Scanning accuracy, something to consider?....

Capt Bruce...
    Forgive me for getting off on a bit of a tangent here, but this applies to something that i notice on your scan v/s your carve of that same detail. From the day i started working with the Probe, it kind of surprised me that the stylus was so sharp and pointy... Here is my theory, anyone feel free to shoot it down if you know any different...

The carving bit we are using has a 1/16 ball tip on it plus the taper on the side of it. So it makes sense to me that any shape that the stylus of the probe picks up would be over cut by any amount bigger the tool is than the stylus. Considering that it is almost a dead sharp point, you are litterally overcutting about 1/32 per side, plus the amount of the taper. It makes sense to me that if the sylus was the same shape as the carving bit, you would get a near exact duplicate of whatever you scan. I think the detail of what you see in the pattern would be far less sharp, but in reality it doesnt make any difference because the tool can only carve as sharp as the tip anyway.. I am thinking about making a nylon sleeve that slips up onto the probe that is the same shape as the tool to test this theory.

How this applies to this thread, is the Captain's comment on having to rework the flag poles. I think this would eliminate the need to do any of the rework..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default scan a couple three items

with the plastic glue tips on and it will be worn down to just about the right size as the carving bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Capt Bruce...
    The carving bit we are using has a 1/16 ball tip on it plus the taper on the side of it. So it makes sense to me that any shape that the stylus of the probe picks up would be over cut by any amount bigger that the tool is than the stylus. I think the detail of what you see in the pattern would be far less sharp, but in reality it doesn't make any difference because the tool can only carve as sharp as the tip anyway..
    Thanks,

Ron
    Ron,
    I couldn't have said it better. I'm going to pick up, and try using the same method covering the probe with an extended model airplane glue tips, mentioned in TIMCOSBY and other's posts when I scan my next hand carved piece. That piece of mahogany cannot undergo the surface abrasion the eagle experienced. I'll report the findings so we can compare notes. Thanks as always
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Ron, I have to agree with you 100% about the 1/16 Rad on the tool vs the probe tip nose rad. When using a tracing attachment on a lathe or VTL we always use the same configuration on the stylis as what the tool is. That is just a common rule in the machine shop for tracing.
    Can you tell me if the protective tips that are available on the CW site have the 1/16 nose radius?

Ron I agree with you, if your cutting bit is 1/16 ball nose, then why is the probe so small and sharp. Some of the details the probe picks up will be lost in the carve.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast