Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Assistance Please

Default did ya git r done?

i got some pics that might help others too. will post as soon as i reduce their size.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Good morning Tim,

I see we're both at it fairly early this morning. I appreciate the advice you and other Forum members have provided.

I'm going to build the scanning sled this morning with plywood and some shallow aluminum L channels picked up this week. My plan is to horizontally extend part of each L out beyond the 14 1/2" max width to extend the flat area where the eagle will lay. Then with the "sled" assembled just with tape, to place it in the CW machine holding the carving and move the mounted probe to the measuring limits and check that nothing "bumps."

In theory it should work so I'll take it slow and see what comes out of this first experiment.

I had a chance to look at and admire your dragon and cherub scans. We may be doing some business over these patterns. Have you found that website to be a viable method of selling these scans?

Wish me luck.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default The Eagle Has Landed

On my scan sled that is . . .

With the helpful advice received here I made a sled this morning and after lots of careful measurements determined it should work without any unwanted contact within the CW or danger for the probe/scan unit.

The 1/2" plywood body is 14.5" wide and 1/8" by 1" aluminum L rails are mounted on top with the upper flange extending 1/8" + a hair outside the sled edges. This gave it enough room to have the probe stay 1/8" away from the inside of the rails. I also drilled the rail upright legs so that I can easily attach other wider/taller wood rails as needed to scan deeper objects in the future.

The eagle is now going through a 25 hour predicted scan at best quality so we'll see tomorrow if "the best laid plans o' mice and men . . ."

I was warned the steel scan probe might scratch the original eagle finish but that is going to be a good thing in the end. My ten year old gilded finish had weathered unevenly so this is giving it a nice detail sanding job and getting down into all those carved lines and feathers. It does not seem to effect the painted finish of the flags. Synergy comes in strange ways.

One final question from a newbie scanner. The CW sounds like a quiet coffee grinder while it is scanning and the probe is moving. Is that fairly normal? I've never heard it operate except while carving so I have no basis for comparison.

My thanks to all who offered tips and advice. The collective wisdom of this Forum's members is just invaluable. Again please wish me luck and we'll see by tomorrow what comes of all this.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW

Wow, looks great Capt. Bruce! Nice pictures too, I have a feeling there are going to be some people re-doing their scanning sleds soon...

Good luck with the long scan and I hope it comes out great!

Craig

Morning Craig,

Running smoothly and 75% complete this morning. Should be able to see the end result of the scan early afternoon.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Default Scanning

Capt Bruce,

Looks like you whipped the original problem! To answer your "coffee grinder" question - yes. The Z drive just becomes a small jack-hammer while scanning.

I had two concerns while viewing your sled that may not bite you but give me pause. I assume that you found that you were too near the edges of the rollers to make extensions - I would be concerned with damaging the rollers with such a small surface area. Second - I did not notice any tape sticking out the end, Al needs the money, hopefully you had tape for the brass roller to work with!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default Happy to report it all worked!

Another step in the learn by doing process. Doc, thanks for the description of the jack-hammer. Very appropriate and reassuring. The scan completed after 26 hours and the image loaded up to my PC this afternoon.

Now to learn about cleaning up an image as every stroke of the paint brush was recorded giving some unintended surface flaws. The carving details came out crisp and clean with the exception of some feather checks.

I had addressed both concerns you raised above Doc by very lightly loading the roller pressure so it would not damage the top rollers against those edges and fully supporting the 48" long sled outside the machine. Did a brief scan test and then checked the rollers. In future 3/4" wide rails will be attached inside the aluminum rails (pre-drilled) to better spread the loading on the rollers. After the long scan period I re-inspected the rollers and no grooving to be seen so I think I jumped that shark.

And yes the bottom of the sled (roller-side) had blue painters tape to keep Al's profits coming in. (By the way I too own 3M stock.)

Next step will be a half size carve to see how it translates going back into wood and continued clean up. I'll see if there is interest in this design by others and how to market a pattern to the CarveWright community. Advice appreciated and I'm reading the applicable threads on the Forum.

Thanks again for your interest and advice along the path. Grasshopper appreciates the wisdom of all.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Default you'll find that blurring and

smoothing is better done in a graphics program rather than the p.e. blur tool. you cant adjust the blur tool in p.e.
    when you save the scan saveas and pick png then edit in another program bring it back and look then go back for more work etc etc.
    nice pattern.
    you may be able to add the wood to the outside of the alum. too.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Default Carved Eagle & Flags

Finally had the time to do a test carving (3 1/2 hrs) from the scan completed last Sunday. It scaled down nicely to an 18 x 12 x 1" and the reproduction is very faithful to the original. The individual feathers carved better than I expected. You be the judge.

I'll have to do some pattern tweaking because of the draft caused by the taper of the carving bit (made the 2 flagpoles too thin on top) but those problems should be easily fixed. A few V cuts will also be re-carved by hand to sharpen up what the 1/16" bit cannot reach.

Now to learn about cutouts, placing tabs and glue up some wider stock for a full size carve. My thanks again to all those who have coached me through this starting with the scanning process. It's really nice to have helpful friends walking with you on this journey.
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 03-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

The looks realy nice! Great job!

Doug Fletcher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast