Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Wreath - Project of the Month

Default Spring Wreath - Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Spring Wreath". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Spring Wreath represents a time of renewal and gives your guests an exceptional and cheerful welcome when displayed in your foyer or hung on your front door!

This project features a fusion of spring flowers and leaves along with a scroll-type banner design. The finished, assembled wreath is about 17" in diameter x 1½" thick.

The project requires the two bits that came with your machine, plus a 60° V-Bit to run the project as it is designed. NOTE: You must own the CarveWright Centerline Option for the “Welcome” text, or you can use the included "ALTERNATE_Banner_Scroll.mpc" instead, if you don't own a V-bit or the Centerline feature.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • TOP_Spring_Wreath.mpc
    • BOTTOM_Spring_Wreath.mpc
    • Banner_Scroll.mpc
    • ALTERNATE_Banner_Scroll.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Top and Bottom: .75" x 11" x 25" (two)
    Banner: .75" x 8" x 25" (one)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) 1" long # 6 Wood Screws (two)

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, CA wood adhesive, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) Black Chancery font (free)
    Available from free font websites such as
    http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/black-chancery.htm

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Spring Wreath made from Select Pine wood:

Banner...
    1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
    2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper
    3) applied Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
    4) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

Wreath...
    1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
    2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
    3) applied Minwax Ipswich Pine stain #221
    4) hand-brushed Minwax Early American stain #230 on the leaves only
    5) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UNFinished_Spring_Wreath_550x413.jpg   Finished_Spring_Wreath_550x550_2.jpg   Wreath_on_Door.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

It's a beaut, Clark.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default wreath spring

Hi Michael looks real nice ,, What kind of carving time are we talking here?
    thanks
    denny

Quote Originally Posted by dcalvin4 View Post
    Hi Michael looks real nice ,, What kind of carving time are we talking here?
    thanks
    denny
    Thanks, Denny. On 'BEST' setting, the total time for all three components (wreath halves and banner) is about 7 hours.

I carved my own wreath halves on 'OPTIMAL' and the banner on 'BEST'. My total time was a little over 11 hours at those settings.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thumbs up Allmost Perfect

Hi
    Looks great but my wife said it isn't spring until you see butterflys. I guess I will have to figure out how to put a butterfly on the welcome banner.
    JIM

Quote Originally Posted by MCGEE2SKINNER View Post
    Hi
    Looks great but my wife said it isn't spring until you see butterflys. I guess I will have to figure out how to put a butterfly on the welcome banner.
    JIM
    Thanks, Jim.

That sounds like a great way to customize the project - adding butterflies. Creative idea! I can't wait to see what other folks will come up with, too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hi Michael,
    I am so impressed with your project ideas, design quality and documented how a master - crafts such wonderful wood projects, Priceless! 
    Thank you for another great one, spring is in the air here in Oregon.
    Cheers ~ Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

That sounds like a great way to customize the project - adding butterflies. Creative idea! I can't wait to see what other folks will come up with, too!
    Hey Michael can you please tell me what type of dremel bit that is that you show in the Springwreath POM PDF document in Fig 3c? Can you tell me about it? I'm interested in perhaps maybe purchasing one for my dremel if you can tell me where you purchased it and perhaps even the stock number (if you have it). Thank you sir!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Hey Michael can you please tell me what type of dremel bit that is that you show in the Springwreath POM PDF document in Fig 3c? Can you tell me about it? I'm interested in perhaps maybe purchasing one for my dremel if you can tell me where you purchased it and perhaps even the stock number (if you have it). Thank you sir!
    Hi Jerry,

That bit is manufactured by Saburr Tooth and a list of dealers is on the following webpage:
    http://www.saburr-tooth.com/locateDealer.htm

Funny, the place I got my Saburr bits from is not listed as one of their dealers for some reason, but they had a complete selection on display when I bought mine from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta, GA. Their phone number is 1-800-241-6748. Their website is www.highlandwoodworking.com

I just checked the Highland website and they list the bit shanks as 3/32 instead of 1/8 in their product description - it looks like they just round-up the 3/32 and call them a 1/8" shank, when you place it in the shopping cart. I just measured the shanks on mine and it could go either way - too close to call, but they will fit in your Dremel, no problem. On Highland's website, they don't use the Saburr numbers, but here is a link where you can simply choose the size and grit (yellow is 'fine' - green is 'coarse') and the right one will show up:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...332-shank.aspx

That particular bit in fig. 3c is a 1/8"(?) shank Taper 7/8" long yellow fine burr, Saburr part # 18T18

I also have the 1/8"(?)-shank 1/4" diameter ball Sphere yellow fine burr, Saburr part #18S14 and the 1/8"(?)-shank 1/4" Taper yellow fine burr, Saburr part #18T14.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael, I have a question I've never asked or tried. You used both the best setting and the optimal settings. Just what is the difference between the two? thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast