Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Chuck

Default Rock Chuck

Do i need the 1/4 or 1/2 inch adapter to use my bits that came with machine?

If you bought all of the bits(11 total I believe) then you need both adapters. If you only have the 2 bits(carving and 1/8" cut-out) then the 1/4" adapter is all you need. I bought 1/4, 1/2, and 1/8, adapters so that my options of cutters to use won't be limited in the future.

Hope this helps...

F.
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

all i use is the carving, cut out, and the 60 and 90 v bits so what do i need ?

Quote Originally Posted by dsw3 View Post
    all i use is the carving, cut out, and the 60 and 90 v bits so what do i need ?
    If thy are the lhr v bits, your would need the 1/2 rock with the 1/4 insert.

Doug Fletcher

If you only have the 2 bits that came with the machine, then the 1/4 Rock chuck is all you need. IF you have the "extra" bits kit that can be purchased separately, then you'll need the 1/2" Rock chuck and also the 1/2 - 1/4" sleeve adapter. This will enable you to use all of your bits with your 1/2" Rock chuck. IF you want to get the 4 flute Rock cutting bit, then you'll also need to purchase the 1/4 - 1/8 sleeve adapter( to accomodate the Rock cutting bit). Is this right guys.......... I think I got this correct.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I just got the Rock Chuck. I have all the extra tool (11pcs). This extra set of tools use both 1/4 and 1/2 dia shanks. Now my 60 & 90 degree bits are 1/4 dia on the shank. So really if your 60 & 90 degree bits have 1/4 shank you will only need to get the 1/4" chuck. BUT....you will be limited to only using 1/4" dia shanked bits. SO, if you buy the 1/2 chuck with the 1/4" sleeve you will be able to use larger bits. Once you buy the 1/4" chuck you are stuck using only 1/4" dia shanked tools. Hope this makes sense to you. Good luck, and BTW....I love my new chuck, so much smoother running...

Lots of partially correct answers... Here is the "rest of the story"

The 1/2" version gives you complete flexability. I offer 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" sleeves for the 1/2"... This will allow you to hold any bit that either LHR, or I sell. So to recap, you can hold the following shank sizes in that bit adapter... 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" by purchasing the proper sleeves. (The 3/8 is not on the website yet, but will be added this weekend. I now have them in stock)

The 1/4" version will only hold 1/4" or 1/8" shank tools. These include the tapered carving bit that comes with the machine, the 1/8" cutout bit that LHR sells, and if you do purchase the 1/8" cutout bits that i sell, you would need the 1/4 to 1/8" Rock sleeve.

Not 100% sure about this, but i have had people report to me that they have V60, and V90 bits that have both 1/4" shanks, and 1/2" shanks. Apparently they were shipped both ways... Please check the shanks on the tools that you wish to hold to make the proper decision.

Bottom line is that you cant go wrong with the 1/2" version, it will hold anything you may ever wish to hold.

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Still looking forward to getting my Rock chuck, has been a week since I ordered it. Tonight I wished I had it, could not get the QC to hold a bit for any reason. Worked on it for over 30 min. before I got it to hold the bit, just to do a 15 min. test carve. Which was bad too. So not a great evening using the machine. Course the pattern was my fault.
    I know with the rock I too will have a much better experience with the CW!
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Still looking forward to getting my Rock chuck, has been a week since I ordered it. Tonight I wished I had it, could not get the QC to hold a bit for any reason. Worked on it for over 30 min. before I got it to hold the bit, just to do a 15 min. test carve. Which was bad too. So not a great evening using the machine. Course the pattern was my fault.
    I know with the rock I too will have a much better experience with the CW!
    Hi Eddie,
    I had to complete a another batch of bit adapters over the weekend in order to ship your order. It went out monday, and i would expect you to see it today or tomorrow at the latest...
    Thank you again for your order!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Ron, I received the rock chuck today. I am in for a short while before going out again on a job. Plan to watch the viedo again and install it when I get back. The rock chuck looked great, as well as the bet adapter. I am looking forward to using the RC and eliminating the QC nightmare from my future.

Thanks Ron.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast