Thread: Litho height question

Default Litho height question

Hi all,

New CW user. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I've searched and read, but still have a problem.

I've carved a few lithos without a problem, but my latest one didn't want to cooperate. I built a sled out of 3/4 baltic birch plywood, then used 1/4 plywood to surround the 1/4 material I'm carving. I've taped off the lines to fool the machine into thinking it's one large workpiece.

Should I set the thickness to 1" or to 1/4"? As I said, I've done a couple already and left the setting at 3/4. But now the bit hovers over the material and carves the air. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Set the thickness to 1/4". You will get a warning about the material being too thin. Just click proceed. Hope this helps you out.
    Keep the Lithos coming.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Caocian View Post
    Hi all,

New CW user. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I've searched and read, but still have a problem.

I've carved a few lithos without a problem, but my latest one didn't want to cooperate. I built a sled out of 3/4 baltic birch plywood, then used 1/4 plywood to surround the 1/4 material I'm carving. I've taped off the lines to fool the machine into thinking it's one large workpiece.

Should I set the thickness to 1" or to 1/4"? As I said, I've done a couple already and left the setting at 3/4. But now the bit hovers over the material and carves the air. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I built my sled similar to yours, 3/4 inch MDF main body with 1/4 inch Luan on the top with
    the Litho size cut out. I attach them with double sided tape. I set the board thickness as
    1 inch with a carve depth of .180 , height as 400 and have had no failures or problems.
    Good luck ,
    Rick H.

Thanks, guys.

I set it to 1" and it worked fine. As I said, I've done a few at 3/4 that also worked, so I thinnk it was more a case of needing to do a better cleanup between carvings. I vacuumed the machine again and it worked.

Cheers

I found it is best to use the jog to touch position when the bit is checking for depth
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )