Thread: cuting motor problems

Default cuting motor problems

Hello friends .
    Today i carve an guitar body face and back around 6 hour. But i have an problem : the motor is stop and get an mesage about check cuting motor , i pres ENTER and continued to carve after i `m loocking at cut motor to not have dust or something . The problem is that cuting motor start to flash light inside of motor ,at the end of motor are some holles ,and start to smell . I off the machine . Need advice .

I would call LHR.... I have a motor I bought of another user for the Core Fee that burned up..... You want to stop and call LHR....

I wanted the plastic shell for a cracked one I had.

Sparks are normal at the Armature but to know when there are TOO many sparks takes years to know... Better be SAFE call LHR....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

So ,nobody have an clue about this isue ???? What its wrong ????

How many hours on the cut motor?... perhaps your brushes are about shot..

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

It is a subjective call as to if the arcing at the brushes is normal or excessive.... All brush motors have some arcing, just look at a 1/4 inch drill or a hand held router. It is better to error on the side of caution here and not get a fire started inside the machine.

I have one motor that I bought from a member that has melted wires inside the motor. A quick check of the motor found the resistance measured in ohms was lower than another motor side by side. I believe this has caused the problems.

A Cut Motor is made up of copper wire wound around the Rotor and Stator. If you lay uncoated copper wire next to each other touching, the copper wire connects to each other. This is why the copper wire is coated with lacquer giving it the orange tint. So you wind a motor and lacquer keeps the wire from shorting together.

So a motor is designed to say have 100 turns of copper wire to make the required magnetic field. Lets say the motor is dropped while handling in China at the factory. It is quickly scooped up and back on the assembly line. Say that drop caused 2 windings be crushed together and the insulating lacquer coating is damaged and the wires touch.... What was a 100 turns of copper wire now equals 35 turns as the electricity takes the path of least resistance and it is now a 35 turn motor... With less turns there is less magnetic flux to move or turn the motor.... Plus the resistance changes from 100 turns to say 35 turns and this causes a increase in current in the motor. The increase in current causes a BRIGHTER flash of the brushes to the point that a wire overheats and BURNS.... This is what I expect happened to the Motor I got from the Member here. I needed the outside shell....

So that is what is going on with your motor.......

It can ALSO be......

Sawdust inside the motor brush area causing a problem with the brushes reaching the commutator....

The motor is easily opened and inspected. The first one I opened as seen in the pictures, the sides of the case had sawdust in it... Not a good thing.... It is sucked into the motor by the 2 part fan. One part sucks air from the area of the computer compartment below and the rear half sucks air through the cut motor.... It enters at the brushes....

OR.... I see you are in Romania, what Voltage are you running the machine at? Are you running it on 50 HZ 100 volts? I don't know what the power standard is in Romania. I have been to the Black Sea in my Navy days, visiting 27 countries in my 20 years, but not to Romania. Running it at a lower voltage could cause more sparks....

And lastly, like Rjustice said above, worn brushes could cause it too... The brushes have a copper wire tether and once worn, could prevent the brush from fully reaching the commutator causing more sparks....

At 250 hours you need to be looking at the brushes.... $5.00 in brushes replaced before a failure or wait until you are doing a cut path and the cut motor stops and the $40.00 bit snaps..... So you order $45.00 plus $15.00 Shipping to fix a $5.00 problem.... Preventive Maintenance....

Replacing the motor is your best first option....

If your doing a 6 hour carve with no dust collection, then the cut motor could be sucking is great quantities of sawdust and the smell is the "toasting" of the sawdust inside the motor.... A Motor inspection is in order.....

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06256_WEB.jpg   DSC06258_WEB.jpg   DSC06140_WEB.jpg   DSC06259_WEB.jpg  

DSC06237_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-15-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

I had the same thing happen about 7 weeks ago.
    Sent it to Sears to fix. Got a call from them friday saying it could not be fixed so they are sending me a new machine with full waranty.
    I know that, what ever it was, it could be fixed but they must have though it would cost to much.
    I don't know what a new motor would cost.

Wilbur

First ,yes i`m in Romania where the voltage is 220V at 50Hz. But i buy from USA an Up/Down Voltage Steper so i run the machine at 110V at 50Hz .The machine work well but i must to said that i dont have an dust mounted on machine .
    I have an dust machine but dont have one mounted at CW. I need to make an design.
    if someone can help me whit some design and how to fix it to machine i will be very apreciated.
    I`m new into this CW machine but learn quiqly.

I've built this DC design, haven't installed it yet.

Good luck.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ighlight=final
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I would open and inspect the motor then..... Blow out the dust.

50 HZ will give you slightly less lines of flux making the motor work harder than 60 HZ. The motor will work but it will work harder than a 60 HZ machine. That could account for the higher temp of the cut motor... So clean the motor first.

As far as dust collection. There are a few designs here by users and a quick search will find them. Ask Bud has plans for one.

I made a post a few months ago about Power Supplies and the CW power supply will work well with 50 or 60 HZ because it takes the AC and makes it into DC then back to AC then DC again adjusting the correct output voltages with feedback.

The Cut Motor draws power direct from the AC Line.

This is what I did and works well for me.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03482_WEB.jpg   DSC03403_WEB.jpg   DSC03411_WEB.jpg   DSC03398a_WEB.jpg  

DSC03399_WEB_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-15-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Default Vacuum Head project

This "CW Vacuum Head Project" is easy to build and you should be able to find all the things you need locally.
    AskBud
    http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum-C (Small).JPG   Vacuum-A (Small).JPG  
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29