Thread: Using CW/CC during cold weather

Default Using CW/CC during cold weather

I've heard ideas on putting a hair dryer/blower in a CW for a little while to warm it up before using. My CC is in the garage and it's 32 outside so it's pretty cold in the garage and is going to stay that way for a few days. I really want to do the Valentine POM, but things don't look good "weatherwise". If I place the hair blower in the CC to warm it up, will that be enough to keep it going once I start a project? I even tried putting a electric heater in the garage, but it blew the circuit breaker and that just stopped my project. I was even wondering if I can just go to HD or Lowes and change out my 30amp to a 50amp circuit breaker in hopes that this would keep my heater and CC going. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Default Warm Garage

Bad idea to replace breaker with a higher amperage without upgrading the wiring to match the load. I've had great success heating my un-insulated garage with a torpedo heater. They are a bit pricey compared to the electric jobs but they put out a lot of heat very quickly. They will also far outlive your electric heater. Just make sure to keep your spark plug clean and never store it with diesel fuel in the tank. Diesel will actually grow algae over time. Kerosene from the gas station will work and store better but costs a bit more than diesel. It doesn't smell as much either. The torpedo heater will also burn the odorless kerosene from the hardware store but in my neighborhood they're charging $10 for a 2 gallon jug. I usually use the gas station kerosene. They're right about the temperature thing though. My machine gets a little funk when the basement gets down to even 50° or so.

Good luck and happy carving.

Bill

Absolutely do not change that breaker without upgrading the wiring. That causes fires. Safety first--the project will wait.

Bob

Harbor Freight sells a good ceramic LP heater. I used one for a while.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

I have a double burner LP heater i use in my garage. Plus i cheat a little and have a little heater i put close to the machine. a couple minutes and the machine is ready to go till the garage heats up..
    Mike

Smile

I use a little oil filled electric heater that I bought at a flea market it keeps my shop toasty after about an hour and safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heater.jpg  
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

I have a direct vent LP Gas heater in both shops. Today it took almost 2 hours to bring the Wood Shop up from 30 to 55. I still have not put the insulation is the walls or roof. The 6 inches of snow on the roof helped close off the Cap Shingle vents.... I will finish cutting signs about 11:00 PM tonight. Got my money's worth out of the heat.... Machine is running well.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com